Design and Simulation of SPWM and SVPWM Based on Two Level Three Phase Voltage Source Inverter, VSI for Grid—Connected PV System
Grid—connected Photovoltaic (PV) system is one of the smart—grid system branch which offers plenty of opportunity for further improvement. Apart from grid synchronizing procedure, pulse width modulation (PWM) technique plays huge role in constructing the grid—connected PV system to be more efficient and reliable. This paper presents the design and simulation of Sinusoidal PWM (SPWM) and Space vector PWM (SVPWM) based on two level three—phase voltage source inverter (VSI). The simulation is performed in MATLAB/Simulink platform. Comparison between both PWM techniques in terms of the utilization of DC voltage and total harmonic distortion (THD) were carried out. SVPWM demonstrates better performance as compared to SPWM hence is qualified to use for grid—connected PV system.
KeywordsPhotovoltaic (PV) Pulse width modulation (PWM) Voltage source inverter (VSI)
The authors wish to thank Research University Grant (RUI)—RCMO Universiti Sains Malaysia, (USM) with No. Account: 1001/PELECT/8014028 for providing financial support as well as computational facilities to carry out this research at the School of Electrical and Electronic Engineering USM.
- 1.Ahmed, E.K., Ahmed, D.: A control methodology of three phase grid connected PV system. In: Researchgate.net (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Amirreza, N., Abdullah, A.M.Z., Mohd, H.H., Mohammad, R.M., Josep, M.G.: An improved synchronous reference frame current control strategy for a photovoltaic grid-connected inverter under unabalanced and nonlinear load conditions. PLOS ONE J. (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Anup, K., Debashis, C.: A survey on space vector pulse width modulation technique for a two-level inverter. In: IEEE National Power Electronics Conference (NPEC). College of Engineering Pune, India (2017)Google Scholar
- 4.Shweta, S., Tiwari, A.N.: Analysis and simulation of vector controlled PMSM drive using SVPWM inverter. In: IEEE 2nd International Conference for Convergence in Technology (I2CT) Maharashtra, India (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Waheed, A., Syed, M.U.A.: Comparative study of SVPWM & SPWM based three phase voltage source inverters for variable speed drive. In: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering 51 (2013)Google Scholar
- 6.Ayse, K.B., Erhan, A.: Modelling and simulation of two-level space vector PWM inverter using photovoltaic cells as DC source. Int. J. Electron. Mech. Mechatron. Eng. 2(4), 311–317 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Muhammad, H.R.: Power Electronics—Circuits, Devices and Applications, 3rd edn. Pearson Prentice Hall, US (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Wanchai, S.: A comparative study of sinusoidal PWM and third harmonic injected PWM reference signal on five level diode clamp inverter. Energy Procedia 89 (2016)Google Scholar
- 9.Do-Hyun, J., Duck-Yong, Y.: Space-Vector PWM technique for two-phase inverter-fed two-phase induction motors. IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl. 39(2) (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Xu, R., Xia, L., Zhang, J., Ding, J.: Design and research on the LCL filter in three-phase PV grid-connected inverters. Int. J. Comput. Electr. Eng. 5(3) (2013)Google Scholar