Partial Discharge Behaviour and the Movement of Two Different Shapes of Metal Particle in Mineral Oil
Partial discharge (PD) due to different shapes of free metal particle in mineral oil has been measured in order to study the PD behaviour induce by metal particle in mineral oil. PD under influence of spherical metal particle has been compared with cylindrical metal particle under AC applied voltage in various gaps. Partial discharge inception voltage (PDIV) for both shapes of metal particle appeared to increase with increasing of gaps. PDIV of cylindrical metal particle demonstrate a lower value compared to spherical metal particle with increasing gaps. PD due to sphere shape metal particle revealed to be less compared to PD due to cylinder shape metal particle. The observation on spherical and cylindrical metal particle movement revealed that there were different stages of motion process involved. The electric field distribution analysis shows a consistency with PDIV results. Shape of metal particle revealed to influence the PD behaviour in mineral oil.
KeywordsPartial discharge Spherical metal particle Cylindrical metal particle Mineral oil Transformer
The author is deeply indebted to Malaysia Ministry of Higher Education and Universiti Sains Malaysia for financially support this work under MyPhD scholarship and Research University Grant (1001/PELECT/814232).
- 1.Rain, P., Tobazeon, R.: Behavior of free conducting particles and their role on breakdown in oils under AC and DC voltages. In: Proceedings of the 6th International Institute Electrical Engineering Conference Dielectric Materials, Measurements Applications, Manchester, UK, 1992, pp. 96–99 (1992)Google Scholar
- 2.Miners, K.: Particles and moisture effects on dielectric strength of transformer oil using VDE electrodes. IEEE Trans. Power App. Syst. PAS-101 (3), 751–756 (1982)Google Scholar
- 4.Carraz, F., Rain, P., Tobazeon, R.: Particle initiated breakdown in quasi uniform field in transformer oil. IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul. 1052–1063 (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Azmi, K., Ishak, D., Kamarol, M., Zuhairi, A.: Construction of partial discharge measurement system under influence of cylindrical metal particle in transformer oil. In: 2016 IEEE Student Conference on Research and Development (SCOReD), Kuala Lumpur, 2016, pp. 1–4 (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Azmi, K., Ishak, D., Kamarol, M., Zuhairi, A.: Comparison of partial discharge behavior in mineral oil and PFAE under influence of spherical metal particle. In: 2017 International Conference on High Voltage Engineering and Power Systems (ICHVEPS), Bali, 2017, pp. 519–523 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Azmi, K., Zuhairi, A., Ishak, D., Muhamad, N.A., Kamarol, M.: Partial discharge characteristics of spherical metal particle in mineral oil and PFAE under AC voltage. IEEE TENCON 2017, 2588–2593 (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Naidu, M.S.: Gas Insulated Substation. I. K. International Pvt Ltd. (2008)Google Scholar
- 13.Lee, K.H., Baek, M.K., Hong, S.G., Kim, Y.S, Choi, H.S., Park, I.H.: Numerical analysis and experiment of floating conductive particle motion due to contact charging in high-voltage system. IEEE Trans. Magn. 52(3), 1–4 (2016)Google Scholar