Physical Modelling of Gallium Nitride (GaN) Based Double Barrier Quantum Well Device
This paper describes the physical simulation of Al0.3Ga0.7N/GaN-based double barrier resonant tunnelling diode (RTD) with cubic-GaN structure using Silvaco ATLAS. Cubic-GaN is interesting for vertical transport devices due to the absence of internal polarization. Proper selection of material parameters is vital in order to optimize the device performance. The relationship between current-voltage (I-V) characteristic, particularly the negative differential resistance (NDR) with respect to variation in barrier composition, well width and barrier thickness are studied in detail. RTDs with clear NDR are demonstrated with peak-to-valley-current ratio (PVCR) of 7.19 and peak current density of 3.77 mA/cm2 at room temperature. The optimum barrier thickness for a given composition is determined by using the ratio of current magnitude at resonant peak to the width of the resonance, and also used as figure of merit for the device. Finally, optimum parameters for the promising cubic Al0.3Ga0.7N/GaN RTD are proposed.
KeywordsAlGaN/GaN Cubic-GaN Resonant tunneling diode Silvaco
The authors are thankful to Universiti Sains Malaysia for the financial assistance through Short Term Grant 304/PELECT/60313047.
- 1.Bayram, C., Vashaei, Z., Razeghi, M.: Reliability in room-temperature negative differential resistance characteristics of low-aluminum content AlGaN/GaN double-barrier resonant tunneling diodes. Appl. Phys. Lett. 97(18), 181109 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3515418
- 2.Boucherit, M., Soltani, A., Monroy, E., Rousseau, M., Deresmes, D., Berthe, M., Jaeger, J.C.D.: Investigation of the negative differential resistance reproducibility in AlN/GaN double-barrier resonant tunnelling diodes. Appl. Phys. Lett. 99(18), 182109 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3659468CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kurakin, A.: Transport and Noise Properties of AlGaN/GaN Heterostructures for High-Frequency Applications. Doctor of Philosophy, Research Center in the Helmholtz Association (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Zainal, N., Novikov, S.V., Mellor, C.J., Foxon, C.T., Kent, A.J.: Current-voltage characteristics of zinc-blende (cubic) Al0.3Ga0.7N/GaN double barrier resonant tunneling diodes. Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 112102 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1063/1.3488819
- 9.Zainal, N., Walker, P., Kent, A.J.: Modelling of cubic AlxGa1−xN/GaN resonant tunnel diode structures. Phys. Status Solidi (C) Curr. Top. Solid State Phys. 7(7–8), 2262–2264 (2010)Google Scholar