Multicriteria Optimization of Machining Parameters in WEDM of Titanium Alloy 6242
This article deals with the optimization of process parameters in WCEDM of titanium alloy (Ti–6Al–2Sn–4Zr–2Mo). Material removal rate and surface roughness were studied against the wire cut EDM process parameters, namely pulse ON time, pulse OFF time, voltage and wire feed rate. The pulse ON time selected for the experiment was 4, 5, 6 µs, and pulse OFF time is 6, 8, 10 µs. The voltage values selected in the experiment are 50, 65 and 85 V, while wire feed rate used was 2, 4 and 6 m/min. The effect of pulse ON, pulse OFF, voltage and wire feed rate over material removal rate and surface roughness of the machined surface is backed up with scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The contribution of parameters on responses was determined by analysis of variance, and regression models were obtained for material removal rate and surface roughness.
KeywordANOVA DOE GRA Wire cut EDM Material removal rate Surface roughness Ti-6242
- 1.Luca A, Popan I, Bala M, Blaga L, Balc N (2013) Comparison between the accuracy and efficiency of EDMWC and WJC. Acad J Manuf Eng 11:42–47Google Scholar
- 4.Singh H, Garg R (2009) Effects of process parameters on material removal rate in WEDM. J Achievements Mater Manuf Eng 32:70–74Google Scholar
- 5.Sarkar S, Sekh M, Mitra S, Bhattacharyya B (2001) Modeling and optimization of wire electrical discharge machining of γ-TiAl in trim. J Mater Process Technol 118:1–3Google Scholar
- 6.Mahapatra SS, Patnaik A (2006) Optimization of wire electrical discharge machining (WEDM) process parameters using genetic algorithm. Indian J Eng Mater Sci 13:494–502Google Scholar
- 8.Rao PS, Ramji K, Satyanarayana B (2011) Effect of WEDM conditions on surface roughness a parametric optimization using Taguchi method. Int J Adv Eng Sci Technol 6:041–048Google Scholar