Out-of-the-Bucket Thinking Among Students with Heterogeneous Background While Solving Creative Problem by Using Combinatorial Tool
Master of design students at IIT Guwahati come from four different backgrounds—these are technical background, architecture background, fine arts background and design and fashion design background. The students were given a problem of technical in nature to be solved without any external support. The same set of students was given same problem to be solved introducing a combinatorial tool (designed based on visual stimuli and forced fitting). The introduction of combinatorial tool at the early stage of problem-solving process changed the approach from linear to nonlinear thinking, which affects the overall outcome of the creative problem-solving task. The paper will discuss the observations made on the results of both the tests and tried to establish the comparative statement between the results.
KeywordsHeterogeneous background students Problem solving Assessing creativity
This research was conducted in the Department of Design, IIT Guwahati. We are grateful to the master of design students who acted as participants and to colleagues who assessed the qualities of the outcome of research tests.
- 1.Mathur, I.S.: In: Govindan, H. (ed.) Design Education in India Retrospection, Introspection, and Perception. National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Denel, B.: Temel Tasarım ve Yaratıcılık: ODTÜ Mimarlık Fakültesi Basım İşliği, Ankara (1981)Google Scholar
- 4.The Future of Design Education in India: Report Prepared by the British Council with India. Design Council, http://www.britishcouncil.in. Visited on 25 June 2017
- 7.Shende, A., Das, A.K.: Enhancing Creativity by Using Idea-Wheel and Its Validation: ICoRD’15 International Conference on—Research into Design Across Boundaries, vol. 2, pp. 75–86. Springer, India (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.Jones, P., Rodgers, P., Nicholl, B.: Perceptions of Creativity Amongst University Design Tutors, pp. 287–296 (2012)Google Scholar