Devising Product Design Architecture Strategies: Case of HEV Powertrain
This article presents a comparative analysis of possible combinations of three transmission systems, namely, Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), Planetary Gear Transmission (PGT), and Dual Clutch Transmission (DCT), to carry out the comparative study of fuel consumption to deduce new gearbox architecture. Modern automotive industry is moving towards greener technology that leads to the introduction of the Hybrid Electric Vehicle (HEV) as electric motor has higher efficiency compared to an IC engine. Different combinations of available transmission systems, viz., CVT-DCT, CVT-PGS, DCT-PGS, and CVT-DCT-PGS are tested in a MATLAB/Simulink environment. From this experimentation, it has been observed that the topology of transmission architecture also influences the fuel consumption apart from the losses in power train. This experimentation utilized the advantages of combining multiple gearbox architecture to develop a new gearbox to achieve maximum fuel efficiency and thereby reducing the carbon footprint. A systematic analysis of multiple gearbox architecture enabled the development of topological layout to achieve desired transmission architecture.
KeywordsHybrid electric vehicle Automotive transmission Fuel efficiency Carbon footprint
The authors would like to acknowledge the authority of PAM Lab, Rajendra Mishra School of Engineering Entrepreneurship for helping in conducting the experiment using the available infrastructure.
- 1.Liu, H., Ma, J., Tong, L., Ma, G., Zheng, Z., Yao, M.: Investigation on the potential of high efficiency for internal combustion engines. Energies, 1–20 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Sun, Z., Hebbale, K.: Challenges and opportunities in automotive transmission control. In: Proceedings of the 2005 American Control Conference, New York (2005)Google Scholar
- 6.Mandol, S., Dan, P., Mondal, M.: Modeling for optimality in design of planetary ring gear to reduce stress development. In: 2018 3rd International Conference for Convergence in Technology, Pune, India (2018)Google Scholar
- 7.Bhattacharjee, D., Bhola, P., Dan, P. (2018) A torque prediction based gearshift controller modelling for HEV. In: 2018 3rd International Conference for Convergence in Technology, Pune (2018)Google Scholar
- 12.Vehicle technology simulation and analysis tools, NREL [Online]. Available: https://www.nrel.gov/transportation/systems-analysis-tools.html. Accessed 10 Apr 2018
- 13.Bhattacharjee, D., Bhola, P., Dan, P.: A heuristic synthesis of multistage planetary gearbox layout for automotive transmission. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part K: J. Multi-body Dyn. 1464419318759893 (2018)Google Scholar
- 14.Chandra, M., Mandol, S., Bhattacharjee, D., Dan, P.: Improving structural stability of spar gear trains through analytic study of gear interaction. In: 2018 3rd International conference for Convergence in Technology, Pune, India (2018)Google Scholar