Buffer Overflow Attack and Prevention for an FPGA-Based Soft-Processor System
Embedded systems have a plethora of role in all spheres of life ranging from medical application to nuclear application to industrial applications. For rapid prototyping of designs, reconfigurable hardware like FPGA is the most preferred solution. Such designs often rely on an embedded processor in the FPGA—sometimes implemented as a soft configuration in FPGA fabric or hard-wired as the integrated circuit while still connected to the FPGA fabric. Typically, embedded systems are exposed to various types of attacks, of those major vulnerability is the buffer overflow attack on the processor used. The buffer overflow attack corrupts the return address of a function or process and subsequently changes the execution order. Our goal is to study the effect of buffer overflow attack in an embedded processor, demonstrate the attack on a full chain of embedded system and providing cost-effective mitigation solution to prevent this type of attack.
KeywordsIntel FPGA Soft-processor Buffer overflow attack Embedded systems security Vulnerabilities in C
The research work is funded by the DST for C3I center at Department of Computer Science, IIT Kanpur.
- 1.Cowan C, Wagle F, et al (2000) Buffer overflows: attacks and defenses for the vulnerability of the decade. In DISCEX’00 Proceedings, IEEE, 2000Google Scholar
- 2.Synopsis Editorial Team. Prevention of buffer overflow attack. Synopsis Security Blog Post, 2017Google Scholar
- 3.Synopsys Editorial Team. How to detect, prevent, and mitigate buffer overflow attacks. Synopsis Security Blog PostGoogle Scholar
- 4.James CF, Vitaly O, Nish B (2005) Buffer overflow attacks: detect, exploit, prevent. Syngress. ISBN: 9780080488424Google Scholar
- 5.Paganini P (2017) Experts found a critical remote buffer overflow vulnerability in Skype. Security Affairs Web-PostGoogle Scholar
- 6.Duckett C (2014) Android SDK suffers from buffer overflow and lack of hardening. ZDNet newsletterGoogle Scholar
- 7.Intel Corporation. Processor architecture. White Paper, 2015Google Scholar
- 8.Using MicroC/OS-II RTOS with the Nios II Processor Tutorial, 2011Google Scholar
- 9.FreeBSD Developers’ Handbook. Buffer overflows, 2018Google Scholar
- 10.Nios II processor reference handbook. Intel Corporation, December 2010Google Scholar