Investigation of Power Transfer in QAB Converter Via Phase Shift Modulation
In line with high demand of renewable energy as well as the energy storage, the multiport DC–DC converters topology have recently received a lot of attention due to its own advantages. In this paper, a bidirectional quad active bridge (QAB) DC–DC converter with high frequency transformer is presented. Full bridge power converter is employed and the phase shift modulation is used in investigating the power transfer of QAB converter. In applying this proposed modulation, the changing or amount of delivering and receiving power in the QAB converter are influenced by the phase shift. Multiple cases of QAB configuration have been evaluated by (1) Multi-input single-output (balanced voltage source); (2) Multi-input single output (unbalanced voltage source); (3) Multi-input multi-output (balanced voltage source); and (4) Single-input multi-output (unbalanced load). The simulation results of a 2.5 kW system is analyzed through MATLAB/Simulink. Also, the power efficiency is discussed through this simulation. It is found out that maximum power can be achieved at 90° phase shift.
KeywordsQuad active bridge Bidirectional power flow Phase shift modulation
This work is supported by Faculty of Electrical and Electronics Engineering, Universiti Malaysia Pahang, under research grant RDU1703129.
- 2.Tran, Y.K., Dujic, D.: A multiport isolated DC–DC converter. In: Applied Power Electronics Conference and Exposition (APEC), 2016 IEEE, pp. 156–162. IEEE (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Ye, Q., Mo, R., Li, H.: Multiple resonances mitigation of paralleled inverters in a solid-state transformer (SST) enabled AC microgrid. IEEE Trans. Smart Grid 3053(c), 1 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Qiang, M.E.I., Wei-yang, W.U., Zhen-lin, X.U.: A Multi-directional power converter for a hybrid renewable energy distributed generation system with battery storage. pp. 1–5 (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Costa, L., Liserre, M.: Improving system efficiency for the more electric aircraft. IEEE Ind. Electron. Mag., pp. 26–36 (2017)Google Scholar
- 14.Chou, H.M.: Multi-port DC-DC power converter for renewable energy application (2009)Google Scholar