UTeM Autonomous Underwater Vehicle Competition Initiatives: Project TUAH and PANTHER
This paper describes the development and lesson learned from the participation of PANTHER and TUAH AUV teams in the autonomous underwater vehicle competitions. The international competitions provide the participants with the opportunity to experience the engineering challenges during the development of the Autonomous Underwater Vehicle (AUV) systems, and by demonstrating their working and engineered AUVs at swimming pool. A team with enthusiasts in underwater robotics was assembled in 2017, to venture into the competitions in 2017 and 2018. Till now, 4 teams have participated in the competition held in Malaysia and Singapore, and up to 4 prototypes of AUVs, called TUAH 1.0, TUAH 2.0, PANTHER and PANTHER-J, have been developed by the engineering lecturers and students in Universiti Teknikal Melaka. The teams use 3–6 thrusters that are configured for AUV control and the Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) interfaced with control unit and powered by commercial LiPo battery packs. In general, various lessons in AUV’s navigation, localization, object recognition and manipulation had been learned from all competitions.
KeywordsAutonomous underwater vehicle Underwater vehicle competition
The authors wish to thank Ministry of Higher Education (MOHE) and Universiti Teknikal Malaysia Melaka for their support. This publication was funded by the Fundamental Research Grant Scheme. FRGS/1/2016/TK03/FKM-CARE-F00317.
- 1.Singapore autonomous underwater vehicle challenge 2017. https://sauvc.org/. Last accessed 2017/12/10
- 2.Malaysia autonomous underwater vehicle challenge 2018. http://oes.ieeemy.org/. Last accessed 2017/12/10
- 3.Yusof A.A., Nor M.K.M., Shamsudin S.A., Alkahari M.R., Mohd Aras M.S., Nawawi M.R.M.: Facing the autonomous underwater vehicle competition challenge: the TUAH AUV experience. In: Hassan, M. (eds.) Intelligent Manufacturing & Mechatronics. Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering. Springer, Singapore (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.BlueROV (Retired). https://www.bluerobotics.com/store/retired/bluerov-r1/. Last accessed 2018/7/5
- 5.Yusof, A.A., Nor, M.K.M., Shamsudin, S.A., Alkahari, M.R., Musa, M.: The development of PANTHER AUV for Autonomous Underwater vehicle competition challenge 2017/2018. In: Hassan, M. (eds.) Intelligent Manufacturing & Mechatronics. Lecture Notes in Mechanical Engineering. Springer, Singapore (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.OpenROV 2.8. https://www.openrov.com/products/openrov28/. Last accessed 2018/7/5
- 7.BlueROV2. https://www.bluerobotics.com/store/rov/bluerov2/. Last accessed 2018/7/5
- 10.Hassan, S.N.H., Yusof, A.A., Tuan, T.B., Saadun, M.N.A., Ibrahim, M.Q. and Wan, N.W. M.N. Underwater manipulator’s kinematic analysis for sustainable and energy efficient water hydraulics system. AIP Conference Proceedings 1660, 070112 (2015)Google Scholar