Pijovic reiterates the main arguments made in the book and expands on the issue of Australia as a sui generis emerging engager or ‘new’ actor in Africa. Pijovic outlines the main commonalities ascribed to emerging countries’ engagement with Africa in order to argue that Australia shares none of those and is therefore unique. Australia’s engagement with Africa is not driven by a desire to secure valuable resources, nor is it motivated by geopolitical and strategic considerations aimed at countering the influence of rival countries. The only trait Australia exhibits which is similar to other emerging countries’ engagement with Africa—such as Brazil—is its desire to use that engagement to advance its international reputation and influence—but even that lasted only a few years.
KeywordsAustralia and Africa ‘New’ actor Emerging country Sui generis China Brazil
- Allan, Tony, Martin Keulertz, Suvi Sojamo, and Jeroen Warner (eds.). 2013. Handbook of Land and Water Grabs in Africa: Foreign Direct Investment and Food and Water Security. New York: Routledge. Google Scholar
- Carmody, Padraig. 2013. The Rise of the BRICS in Africa: The Geopolitics of South-South Relations. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Carmody, Padraig. 2016. The New Scramble for Africa. 2nd Edition. Cambridge: Polity Press.Google Scholar
- Cheru, Fantu and Cyril Obi (eds.). 2010. The Rise of China and India in Africa: Challenges, Opportunities and Critical Interventions. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Kirchheimer, Otto. 1966. The Transformation of the Western European Party. In Joseph LaPalombara and Myron Weiner (eds.), Political Parties and Political Development. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 177–200.Google Scholar
- McCulloch, Daniel. 2018. Peter Dutton Looks to Help ‘Persecuted’ White South African Farmers. The Sydney Morning Herald. 14 March. https://www.smh.com.au/politics/federal/peter-dutton-looks-to-help-persecuted-white-south-african-farmers-20180314-p4z4el.html. Accessed on 8 May 2018.
- SBS News. 2018. Fuel Review Ordered Amid Claim of ‘Declining Reserves’. 8 May. https://www.sbs.com.au/news/fuel-review-ordered-amid-claim-of-declining-reserves. Accessed on 8 May 2018.
- Stolte, Christina. 2015. Brazil’s Africa Strategy: Role Conception and the Drive for International Status. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Van der Merwe, Justin, Ian Taylor, and Alexandra Arkhangelskaya (eds.). 2016. Emerging Powers in Africa: A New Wave in the Relationship? London: Palgrave Macmillan. Google Scholar