Estimation of Skew Angle from Trilingual Handwritten Documents at Word Level: An Approach Based on Region Props
In this work, an efficient technique for segmenting the words from multilingual unconstrained handwritten documents at word level is proposed. In the proposed model, morphological operations and connected component analysis are used for word identification. Based on that, the bounding box for each word is drawn and then words are segmented. The proposed algorithm also works on documents with any orientation. We conducted experimentation on our own 300 unconstrained multilingual handwritten documents. The result shows the performance of the proposed algorithm.
KeywordsConnected component analysis Region props Skew angle
The authors will acknowledge Dr. D. S. Guru and HPC Laboratory, Dept. of Computer Science, University of Mysore, Mysore, for their encouragement.
Images and the datasets used in this work are our own and not from any other’s work.
- 1.Guru, D.S., Ravikumar, M., Manjunath, S.: Multiple skew estimation in multilingual handwritten documents. IJCSI Int. J. Comput. Sci. Issues 10(5), 2 (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Kasiviswanathan, H., Ball, G.R., Srihari, S.N.: Top down analysis of line structure in handwritten documents. In: 20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Shah, L., Patel, R., Patel, S., Maniar, J.: Skew detection and correction for Gujarati printed and handwritten character using linear regression. IJARCSSE 4(1) (2014)Google Scholar
- 5.Babu, D.R., Kumat, P.M., Dhannawat, M.D.: Skew angle estimation and correction of handwritten, textual and large areas of non-textual document images: a novel approach. In: International Conference on Image Processing, Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Wagdy, M., Faye, I., Rohaya, D.: Document image skew detection and correction Method based on extreme points. Centre Intell. Signal Imaging Res. (IEEE) 6(1) (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Brodić, D., Milivojević, Z.N.: Estimation of the handwritten text skew based on binary moments. Radio Eng. 21 (2012)Google Scholar
- 11.NarasimhaReddy, S., Deshpandande, P.S.: A novel local skew correction and segmentation approach for printed multilingual Indian documents. Alex. Eng. J. (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.Ravikumar, M., Rachana, P.G., Shivaprasad, B.J., Shivakumar, G.: Segmentation of words from unconstrained multilingual handwritten documents. J. Innov. Comput. Sci. Eng. 6 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Ghosh, R., Mandal, G.: Skew detection and correction of online Bangla handwritten word. IJCSI Int. J. Comput. Sci. Issues 9(4), 2 (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Rani, A., Singh, H.: A review on various techniques for skew detection and correction in handwritten text documents. IJREAT Int. J. Res. Eng. Adv. Technol. 3(3) (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Sun, C., Si, D.: Skew and slant correction for document images using gradient direction. In: Fourth International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (1997)Google Scholar