Rental Housing: Surveillance of Rural Migrants
This chapter discusses the ongoing policing of migrants in rental housing and focuses on the government’s new program—rental housing management. Gong describes his experience of entering a residential compound and interacting with its migrant residents and goes on to examine the strengthened surveillance of migrants across China and in the compound as a case. Gong argues that rental housing management functions as another kind of “filter” to exclude migrants regarded as potential threats to social stability and manufacturing production.
- Beijing Daily. 2011. “Beijing Chuangxin Shehui Guanli: Xingcheng Yi Ge Wei Jichu Ren Ji Guanxi” (Creative Management in Beijing: Formation of Grid-Based Social Relation). The Xinghuanet, June 2. http://news.xinhuanet.com/society/2011-06/02/c_121486147_2.htm.
- Beijing Daily. 2014. “Beijing Shuji: Zhuahao Yiyekongren Yifangguanren Yizhengguanren” (Population Control Through Employment, Housing and Residential Cards). The Ifeng, March 3. http://news.ifeng.com/mainland/detail_2014_03/03/34343658_0.shtml.
- Deng, Yupeng, and Sirui Wang. 2009. “Xinguanren Gongzuo He Shenghuo Wenti Diaocha Baogao” (Investigation Report of Xinguanren’s Work and Life). In 2009 Dongguan Chengshi Fazhan Baogao: Jingrong Weiji Xia De Chanye Shengji He Shehui Redian (Dongguan Development Report 2009: Industrial Upgrading and Hot Social Issues in Financial Crisis), edited by Yupeng Deng and Sirui Wang, 332–359. Beijing: Zhongguo Jingji Chubanshe.Google Scholar
- DIPC. 2008. “Dongguan Jingji Shehui Shuang Zhuan Xing Shiqi De Sifa Zhicheng” (The Law and Its Enforcement in the Socioeconomic Transformation in Dongguan). In Dongguan 30 Nian (Thirty Years in Dongguan), edited by Daoping Wang, 277–294. Guangzhou: Guangdong People’s Press.Google Scholar
- Dongguan police. 2014. “Gongchang Zuzhang Bannian Dao Ku Qian Tiao” (Factory Team Leader Stole Over a Thousand Paints). The Dongguan Police Website, November 4. http://bmj.dg.gov.cn/publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/dgjch/pjwdtcp/85696.htm.
- Dongguan police. 2015. “Jing Qi Lianfang ‘Neizei’ Luowang” (Police and Factory Arrested Factory Workers as Theft). The Dongguan Police Website, October 29. http://www.gddg110.gov.cn/publicfiles/business/htmlfiles/dgjch/pjwdtqt/92267.htm.
- Foucault, Michel. 1979. Discipline and Punish: The Birth of the Prison. New York: Pantheon Books (Original work written in French published in 1975).Google Scholar
- Government of Dongguan. 2007. Dongguan Zonghe Zhili Chuzuwu Zhian Yinhuan Zhuanxiang Xingdong Gongzuo Fangan (Action Plan of Managing Rental Housing and Public Security Problems in Dongguan).Google Scholar
- Government of Dongguan. 2017. “Guanyu Jinyibu Jiaqiang Woshi Chuzuwu Guanli De Jianyi” (Suggestions on Reinforcement of Rental Housing Management in Dongguan). http://m.dg.gov.cn/cndg/jyta/201803/15cac6f2608e4bfb8335fb0b25d982cc.shtml.
- Guangzhou Daily. 2018. “Dongguan: Ruhu Caiji Renkou Fangwu Xinxi” (Collection of Population and Housing Information in Dongguan). The Guangzhou Daily, June 29. http://news.dayoo.com/guangdong/201806/29/139996_52222123.htm.
- Hong, Xiafang. 2009. “Chuzu Wu Tian Yan Yaoyou Zhuanren Ding” (Digital Inspection System in Rental Housing). The Dongguan Daily, June 6. http://epaper.timedg.com/html/2009–06/06/content_296559.htm.
- Huang, Jing, and Xianwen Wang. 2004. “Research on Segregation and Conformity of Living Space of Floating Fopulation in Dongguan.” Huazhong Architecture 3: 030.Google Scholar
- Li, Qiang. 2014. “Guangzhou Chengshi Guanli Wanggehua” (Urban Governance in Guangzhou Becomes Grid Management). The Nanfang Daily, October 15. http://news.southcn.com/sd/content/2014-10/15/content_110144174.htm.
- Liang, Weifa. 2011. “Fuwu Hao Guanli Hao Dang Xiongdi Dang Jiaren” (Excellent Services and Management of Migrants as Brothers and Family Members). The People’s Net, August 2. http://gd.people.com.cn/GB/218903/218963/218977/15307825.html.
- Luo, Ting, and Fan Zhang. 2016. “Chaoyang Qunzhong Chengshi Genxu Wuchubuzai” (Chaoyang Masses Are Everywhere). The Beijing News, February 22. http://epaper.bjnews.com.cn/html/2016-02/22/content_623536.htm?div=-1.
- Nandu Net. 2014. “Zhongshan Yiban Shequ Shiping Jiankong Quan Fugai” (Zhongshan’s Half of Communities Are Covered by Surveillance Cameras). The NetEase, September 18. http://news.163.com/14/0918/06/A6DERVDL00014SEH.html.
- Nanfang Daily. 2014. “Xinguanren Fuwu Guanli Ju Zhize Huaru Shi Renli Ziyuan Ju” (The XSMB’s Tasks Are Integrated into the Human Resource Bureau of Dongguan). The Southern Net, September 26. http://dg.southcn.com/d/2014-09/26/content_109208677.htm.
- People’s Congress in Guangdong. 2012. Guangdongsheng Zulin Fangwu Zhian Guanli Guiding (Ordiance of Public Security of Public Housing in Guangdong).Google Scholar
- People’s Daily. 2012. “Suzhou, Dongguan Cujing Liudong Renkou Shehui Ronghe” (Suzhou and Dongguan Improve Social Integration of Floating Population). The People’s Net, August 6. http://js.people.com.cn/html/2012/08/06/141399.html.
- People’s Net. 2014. “Guangzhou Shequ Zhili Jiang Quanmian Wanggehua” (Guanzhou Applies Grid Management in Community Governance). July 29. http://gd.people.com.cn/n/2014/0729/c123932-21816737.html.
- Pun, Ngai. 2005. Made in China: Women Factory Workers in a Global Workplace. Durham, NC; Hong Kong: Duke University Press; Hong Kong University Press.Google Scholar
- Qiushi. 2010. “Yi Gaige Chuangxin Jingshen Pojie Shehui Guanli Nanti Shenzhen Shi Shehui Guanli Chuangxin Gongzuo Diaoyan” (Investigation of the Creative Social Management in Shenzhen). The Qiushi, September 3. http://www.qstheory.cn/zxdk/2010/201017/201008/t20100830_44990.htm.
- Rivers, Matt, and Serenitie Wang. 2017. “Beijing Forces Migrant Workers from Their Homes in ‘Savage’ Demolitions.” CNN, December 9. https://edition.cnn.com/2017/12/08/asia/china-migrant-workers-evictions-beijing/index.html.
- Shenzhen News. 2015. “Yi Fang Guan Ren Dazao Liudong Renkou Guanli Xin Moshi” (Rental Housing Management and a Creative New Mode of Managing Floating Population). Shenzhen News, December 4. http://wb.sznews.com/html/2015-12/04/content_3405540.htm.
- Sichuan Daily. 2014. “Renkou Guanli Xin Jizhi” (New Mechanism of Population Management). The Sichuan Daily, July 30. http://epaper.scdaily.cn/shtml/scrb/20140730/70713.shtml.
- Solinger, Dorothy. 1999. Contesting Citizenship in Urban China: Peasant Migrants, the State, and the Logic of the Market. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Wang, Fei Ling. 2005. Organizing Through Division and Exclusion: China’s Hukou System. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Wang, Jun. 2012. “Dongguan Jiao Ting Zhi’an Lianfang Fei Ceng Shi Dagongzai Mengyan” (Abandonment of Public Security Fee in Dongguan). The People’s Net, May 31. http://www.chinesetools.eu/tools/chinese-to-pinyin/index.php#transcrire.
- Wu, Qiang. 2013. “Urban Grid Management and Police State in China: A Brief Overview.” The China Change, August 8. http://chinachange.org/2013/08/08/the-urban-grid-management-and-police-state-in-china-a-brief-overview/.
- Xinhuanet. 2011. “Gonganbu: Nuli Shixian Liudongrenkou Fuwuguanli Xin Tupo” (New Improvement and Efforts in Service and Management of Floating Population). The Xinhuanet, May 12. http://news.xinhuanet.com/politics/2011-05/12/c_121410114.htm.
- XSMB. 2008. “Zai Xinxingshi Xia Chuangxin Xinguanren Fuwu Guanli” (Creatively Improve the Service and Management of Xinguanren Under New Situation). In Dongguan 30 Nian (Thirty Years in Dongguan), edited by Daoping Wang, 351–358. Guangzhou: Guangdong People’s Press.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Li. 2001. Strangers in the City: Reconfigurations of Space, Power, and Social Networks Within China’s Floating Population. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press.Google Scholar
- Zi, Yongting. 2015. “400 Wan Youxiao Liudong Renkou Xinxi Caiji Yi Wancheng” (Completion of Collecting the Effective Information of Four Million Migrants). The NetEase, January 9. http://news.163.com/15/0109/01/AFFV79CN00014Q4P.html.