Experimental and Numerical Studies on the Behaviour of Broad-Gauge Railway Sleepers in Static Bending Condition
The present study shows the prediction of load-deflection behaviour of monoblock pre-stressed concrete railway sleeper under static bending test using ABAQUS. The result obtained from the numerical studies is compared with experimental results and Research Designs and Standards Organization (RDSO) provisions. Numerical studies in ABAQUS are carried out in two stages: (1) pre-stressing and (2) static bending test. During simulation, concrete is modelled as three-dimensional (3D) stress element with damage plasticity model and strand is modelled as 3D truss elements with plasticity model. The results of each model are stored and transferred to subsequent models by restart request feature in ABAQUS. Both the numerical and experimental results are in good agreement and well within the provisions of RDSO.
KeywordsABAQUS Concrete damage plasticity Monoblock concrete sleepers Static bending test Steam curing
Authors would like to thank Mr. Patil Rail Infrastructure Private Limited, Hyderabad and Dr. S. Suriya Prakash (IIT Hyderabad) for their help to complete this work.
- 6.Heinz, D., & Ludwig, U. (1986). Mechanism of subsequent ettringite formation in mortars and concretes after heat treatment. In 8th International Congress on the Chemistry of Cement (Vol. 5, pp. 189–194).Google Scholar
- 7.Hanehara, S., & Oyamada, T. (2010). Reproduction of delayed ettringite formation (DEF) in concrete and relationship between DEF and alkali silica reaction. In fracture mechanics of concrete and concrete structures (pp. 1024–1029).Google Scholar
- 9.RDSO. (2011). Indian railway standard specification for pre-tensioned prestressed concrete sleepers for broad gauge and metre gauge. RDSO, 85, 1–28.Google Scholar
- 10.IS:10262-2009. (2009). Indian standard concrete mix proportioning-guidelines 10262:2009, no. 1.Google Scholar
- 12.Belarbi, A., & Hsu, T. T. C. (1994). Constitutive laws of concrete in tension and reinforcing bars stiffened by concrete. ACI Structural Journal, 91(4), 465–474.Google Scholar
- 13.Dassault Systèmes Simulia Corp. (2013). Modified risks algorithm. In ABAQUS 6.13 theory guide (pp. 1–5).Google Scholar
- 14.IS6006-1983. (1983). Specification for uncoated stress relieved strand for prestressed concrete. In Indian Standard (p. 22).Google Scholar