The United Kingdom: Indirect Leadership
This chapter reveals that effective chairs of boards of directors in the UK are accomplished professionals with strong views, who lead the board without “taking up much space” and avoid the limelight. They engage directors in a collective effort, creating an environment for effective collaboration and encouraging productive behaviours by providing feedback and opportunities for collective and individual learning and development.
- Financial Reporting Council (2017). Developments in Corporate Governance and Stewardship 2016. Available from: https://www.frc.org.uk/getattachment/ca1d9909-7e32-4894-b2a7-b971b4406130/Developments-in-Corporate-Governance-and-Stewardship-2016.pdf [Accessed 10 May 2018].
- Financial Reporting Council (2011). Guidance on Board Effectiveness. Available from: https://www.frc.org.uk/getattachment/11f9659a-686e-48f0-bd83-36adab5fe930/Guidance-on-board-effectiveness-2011.pdf [Accessed 10 May 2018].
- Financial Reporting Council (2016). The UK Corporate Governance Code. Available from: https://www.frc.org.uk/getattachment/ca7e94c4-b9a9-49e2-a824-ad76a322873c/UK-Corporate-Governance-Code-April-2016.pdf [Accessed 3 December 2018].
- Finkelstein, S. (1992). Power in Top Management Teams: Dimensions, Measurement, and Validation. Academy of Management Journal, 35(3), pp. 505–538.Google Scholar
- Gov.uk (2013). Number of private sector businesses surpasses last year’s record high. Available from: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/number-of-private-sector-businesses-surpasses-last-years-record-high [Accessed 10 May 2018].
- Heidrick & Struggles (2014). Towards Dynamic Governance 2014: European Corporate Governance Report. Available from: http://www.heidrick.com/Knowledge-Center/Publication/European-Corporate-Governance-Report-2014-Towards-Dynamic-Governance [Accessed 10 May 2018].
- Hossack, R. (2006). Together at the Top: the Critical Relationship between the Chairman and the CEO. Ivey Business Journal, Jan/Feb, pp. 1–4. Available from: https://iveybusinessjournal.com/publication/together-at-the-top-the-critical-relationship-between-the-chairman-and-the-ceo/ [Accessed 26 March 2018].
- Kakabadse, A., Kakabadse, N. and Myers, A. (2008). Chairman and the Board: A Study of the Role, Contribution and Performance of UK Board Directors. Cranfield School of Management and Manchester Square Partners.Google Scholar
- Meyer, E. (2014). The Culture Map: Breaking Through the Invisible Boundaries of Global Business. New York: PublicAffairs.Google Scholar
- Office for National Statistics (2018). Public and Private Sector Employment. Available from: https://www.ons.gov.uk/employmentandlabourmarket/peopleinwork/employmentandemployeetypes/datasets/publicandprivatesectoremploymentemp02 [Accessed 10 May 2018].
- Rhodes, C. (2017). Business Statistics. Briefing Paper, Number 06152. Available from: https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/SN06152/SN06152.pdf [Accessed 10 May 2018].
- Shekshnia, S. and Zagieva, V. (2017). Board Chairs’ Practices across Countries – Commonalities, Differences and Future Trends. Available from: https://www.insead.edu/sites/default/files/assets/dept/centres/icgc/docs/board-chairs-practices-across-countries.pdf [Accessed 3 December 2018].
- Shekshnia, S. and Zagieva, V. (2016). Chair Survey 2015. Available from: https://www.insead.edu/sites/default/files/assets/dept/centres/icgc/docs/chair-survey-2015.pdf [Accessed 3 December 2018].
- Spencer Stuart (2017). UK Board Index 2017. Available from: https://www.spencerstuart.com/research-and-insight/uk-board-index-2017 [Accessed 10 May 2018].
- The World Bank (2018a). World Development Indicators. GDP per capita 2017, in international dollars. Available from: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.PP.CD?year_high_desc=true [Accessed 3 December 2018].
- The World Bank (2018b). World Development Indicators. GDP Ranking. Available from: https://datacatalog.worldbank.org/dataset/gdp-ranking [Accessed 3 December 2018].
- The World Bank (2018c). Services, Value Added. Industry, Value Added. Agriculture, Value Added. Available from: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NV.IND.MANF.ZS [Accessed 10 May 2018].
- UNDP (2018). Human Development Indices and Indicators. 2018 Statistical Update. Available from: http://hdr.undp.org/en/2018-update [Accessed 28 September 2018].
- Van der Elst, C. F. (2011). Revisiting Shareholder Activism at AGMs: Voting Determinants of Large and Small Shareholders. European Corporate Governance Institute (ECGI), Finance Working Paper, 311.Google Scholar
- Wertheimer, M. (2008). The Board Chair Handbook. Washington, DC: BoardSource.Google Scholar