Stiffness Perception of Virtual Objects Using FOLDAWAY-Touch
Haptic human interfaces are nowadays becoming more and more diffused also thanks to their combined use with Virtual Reality & Augmented Reality (VR & AR). Although many research platforms explore kinesthetic interaction with virtual objects, the only feedback available in widespread commercial devices is a rather simple vibration.
In this paper we introduce “FOLDWAY-Touch” a novel portable kinesthetic haptic interface whose technology can be easily integrated into hand-held devices. The key technological aspect is the miniaturization of the haptic mechanism achieved through the use of origami design and manufacturing principles. Another achievement of this paper is the use of FOLDAWAY-Touch in a virtual simulation to grasp objects with different levels of stiffness.
KeywordsForce feedback Virtual reality Origami
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 2.Rekimoto, J.: Traxion: a tactile interaction device with virtual force sensation. In: Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, pp. 427–431 (2013)Google Scholar
- 4.Bouzit, M., Popescu, G., Burdea, G., Boian, R.: The Rutgers Master II-ND force feedback glove. In: Proceedings - 10th Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, HAPTICS 2002, pp. 145–152 (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Massie, T.H., Salisbury, J.K.: The PHANTOM haptic interface: a device for probing virtual objects. In: ASME Winter Annual Meeting, Symposium on Haptic Interfaces for Virtual Environment and Teleoperator Systems, vol. 55, pp. 1–6 (1994)Google Scholar
- 6.Novint Falcon, Novint Technologies Inc. http://www.novint.com/index.php/novintfalcon. Accessed 8 Jan 2018
- 7.Haption Virtuose 6D. https://www.haption.com/fr/products-fr.html. Accessed 8 Jan 2018
- 8.Omega. 3, Force Dimension. www.forcedimension.com/products. Accessed 8 Jan 2018
- 9.Van Der Linde, R., Lammertse, P., Frederiksen, E., Ruiter, B.: The HapticMaster, a new high-performance haptic interface. In: Proceedings of the EuroHaptic, Edinburgh, UK, pp. 1–5 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Benko, H., Holz, C., Sinclair, M., Ofek, E.: NormalTouch and TextureTouch. In: Proceedings of the 29th Annual Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology - UIST 2016, pp. 717–728 (2016)Google Scholar