Reliability-Based Multi-objective Optimization of Offshore Jacket Structures
In the light of the ever-growing requirements in ecological concerns, government legislations, and consumer demanding, this paper focuses on the structural design of lightweight offshore structures with acceptable levels of reliability. The conflict in these two parameter figures a multi-objective problem with minimizing jacket mass and maximizing reliability as objective functions with member group dimensions as design variables. A Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization (MOPSO) algorithm is selected to solve the problem to obtain the Pareto optimal frontier. The Radial Basis Function (RBF) coupled with Monte Carlo Simulation (MCS) is used to approximate the response of objectives and evaluate reliability in the context of optimization. The study aims to provide multiple solutions for the structural design considering economic cost and structural integrity. Although a Pareto frontier provides multiple solutions, we use the knee point by minimum distance method to decide the most acceptable arrangement from Pareto set.
KeywordsMulti-objective optimization Offshore jacket Reliability
The author gratefully acknowledge the valuable technical contribution provided by Prof. S. K. Bhattacharyya and Prof. S. Surendran, both from Department of Ocean engineering, IIT Madras.
- 1.Wong MB (2009) Plastic analysis and design of steel structures (Library of Congress Catalog)Google Scholar
- 2.American Petroleum Institute-API (2000) Recommended practice for planning, design and constructing fixed offshore platforms—working stress design, 21st edn. American Petroleum Institute, Washington (DC)Google Scholar
- 3.Det Norske Veritas (1999) ULTIGUIDE—best practice guideline for use of non-linear analysis methods in documentation of ultimate limit states for jacket type offshore structures. Hovik, NorwayGoogle Scholar
- 8.SINTEF Group (2001) USFOS getting started. Structural engineering, Marintek, SINTEF GroupGoogle Scholar
- 10.DNV2018: Guidelines for offshore structural reliability analysis-general, Appendix B (1995)Google Scholar
- 12.Soreide TH, Amdahl J, Eberg E, Holmas T, Hellan O (1993) USFOS—a computer program for progressive collapse analysis of steel structures—theory manual. SINTEF Report, Trondheim, NorwayGoogle Scholar
- 13.Skallerud B, Amdahl J (2002) Nonlinear analysis of offshore structures. Research Studies Press, UKGoogle Scholar
- 16.Kennedy J, Eberhart R (1995) Particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of IEEE international conference on neural networks, pp 1942–1948Google Scholar
- 18.Ditlevesen O, Madsen HO (1996) In: Willey J (ed) Structural reliability methods. ISBN 0471960861Google Scholar
- 19.Cornell CA (1967) Bounds on the reliability of structural systems. J Struct Div ASCE 93(1):171–200Google Scholar