Celebrating Surgical Education
The surgeon as educator faces the challenges of adequately preparing the next generation of surgeons while maintaining a busy practice and keeping up with the latest developments and innovations of the field through familiarity with best evidence in literature. This book helps with keeping up with the latest best evidence in education research and theory. As surgical care has a universal component related to the responsibility entrusted to the surgeon and the healing through combination of mind and hand, so too surgical education involves disseminating knowledge as well as skill. This book aims to address knowledge of surgical education. In this chapter, we share drivers for the book and personal perspectives that inform its shape. We also acknowledge the many influences on our own thinking and practices.
KeywordsEducation Training Apprenticeship Competency-based education Macro Meso Micro Theory Framework Expertise Surgical community Communities of practice Professionalisation Faculty of Surgical Trainers Academy of Surgical Educators Academy of Master Surgeons Innovation Values Journals
- 1.McIlhenny, C., & Pitts, D. (2014). Standards for surgical trainers Edinburgh: Royal college of surgeons Edinburgh. Available from: https://fst.rcsed.ac.uk/standards-for-surgical-trainers.aspx
- 2.Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. (2017). Academy of surgical educators. [Cited 2017 November 11]. Available from: https://www.surgeons.org/for-health-professionals/academy-of-surgical-educators/
- 3.Fry, H., & Kneebone, R. (2011). Surgical education: Theorising an emerging domain. London: Springer.Google Scholar
- 5.Imperial College London. MEd surgical education. [Cited 2017 November 11]. Available from: https://www.imperial.ac.uk/medicine/study/postgraduate/masters-programmes/med-surgical-education/
- 6.University of Melbourne and Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. Master of surgical education. [Cited 2017 November 11]. Available from: https://coursesearch.unimelb.edu.au/grad/1865-master-of-surgical-education