Micro-EDM Performance Using Different Dielectrics
EDM process became industrially viable after the discovery of the influence of different dielectric on machining performance. Dielectric fluid used by different micro-electrical discharge machining operation has huge impact on the machining performance like MRR and surface finish. Earlier only hydrocarbon oil was used as dielectric that affects health safety and environment. Through this paper, authors present a literature review on the application of dielectrics which are better substitute to hydrocarbon oil and how hydrocarbon oil can also be used more efficiently. Some of the work depicts that water-based dielectrics can also be used in die sink EDM instead of hydrocarbon oil. Apart from liquid dielectric, micro-EDM is also possible in gaseous media such as oxygen, air, helium, and argon. But gas-assisted micro-EDM needs further more research to make it industrially viable.
KeywordsMicro-EDM Dielectrics fluids Powder additives Deionized water Dry EDM
- 4.Yoshida M, Kunieda M (1996) Study on the distribution of scattered debris generated by a single pulse discharge in EDM process. J Jpn Soc Electr Mach Eng 30(64):27–36Google Scholar
- 5.Erden AP, Temel D (1982) Investigation on the use of water as a dielectric liquid in EDM. In: Proceedings of the twenty-second international machine tool design and research conference, Palgrave, London, pp 437–440Google Scholar
- 11.Singh S, Bhardwaj A (2011) Review to EDM by using water and powder-mixed dielectric fluid. J Miner Mater Charact Eng 10(2):199–230Google Scholar
- 13.Rozenek M, Kozak J, Dabrowski L (2002) Electrical discharge machining in dielectric-powder media. Int J Manuf Sci Technol 4(1):54–60Google Scholar
- 25.Tao J, Shih AJ, Ni J (2008) Near-dry EDM milling of mirror-like surface finish. Int J Electr Mach 13(1):29–33Google Scholar