Development of Solar Cells Using Liquid Silicon
Silicon devices, i.e., solar cells and thin-film transistors, were developed using films from liquid silicon. As the first application of silicon family materials for devices, we chose solar cells which are relatively simple compared with the other silicon devices. Two kinds of production methods were employed to fabricate thin-film solar cells: coating method (Sect. 9.1) and LVD one (Sect. 9.2).
In Sect. 9.1, we report fabrication of a-Si:H solar cells using solution-based processes and modification treatment to silicon layers. All the silicon layers of the p-i-n junction were prepared by a spin-cast method, and the quality of the silicon layers was improved by a hydrogen-radical treatment. In Sect. 9.2, as the first step, a solar cell was developed using only one layer by the LVD process, while the other two were deposited by hot-wire (HW) CVD. After that we tried to make solar cells using an improved LVD method that was introduced in the Sect. 5.2 in Chap. 5. Two layers were deposited by the improved LVD. The developed solar cell showed a relatively high performance.
In Sect. 9.3, liquid silicon was also applied to make heterojunction back contact (HBC) solar cells. The a-Si passivation films formed by LVD showed high-thermal stability against post-annealing at temperatures as high as 360 °C or more. The LVD a-Si films also have sufficient stability against exposure to air and light.
Keywordsp-Type polydihydrosilane n-Type polydihydrosilane Silicon solar cell Heterojunction back contact solar cell (HBC-SC) Liquid vapor deposition (LVD)
- 4.A. Shah, W. Beyer, in Thin-Film Silicon Solar Cells, ed. by A. Shah (EPFL Press, 2010), p. 17Google Scholar
- 11.J. Müllerová, M. Fischer, M. Netrvalová, M. Zeman, P. Šutta, Centr. Eur. J.Phys. 9, 1301 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.B. Sopori, P. Basnyat, S. Devayajanam, S. Shet, V. Mehta, J. Binns, J. Appel, in Understanding Light-Induced Degradation of c-Si Solar Cells (IEEE, 2012), p. 1115Google Scholar
- 14.O. Olibet, E. Vallat-Sauvain, C. Ballif, Dresden, Germany (2006), p. 1366Google Scholar
- 16.K. Koyama, T. Goto, K. Ohdaira, and H. Matsumura, 2012, p. 2007Google Scholar
- 19.H. Fujiwara, M. Kondo, in Interface Structure in a-Si:H/c-Si Heterojunction Solar Cells Characterized by Optical Diagnosis Technique (2006), p. 1443Google Scholar