Oxidation of Phthalic Acid by CrO3 (VI)
Oxidation of phthalic acid (in solvent dioxan) has been carried out by using some oxidants. Oxidative metabolism of phthalic acid by soil pseudomonads has been reported. Thus, phthalic acid is also expected to give a variety of products, specially with oxidant chromium trioxide, i.e., Cr(VI) in t-butyl alcohol as solvent in varying concentration. Solid product with oxidized fragments is obtained in the form of chromium complexes. During the process of oxidation, ligands were obtained in the process itself. In this case, again the reduced Cr is trapped by more powerful chelating reagent. After purification, the formulae of these complexes were studied and analyzed by using elemental, IR, and thermal analysis. Also, the characterization of these complexes throws light on the oxidation products of the substrates. The degradation products that are identified help in ascertaining the point of attacks of the oxidant on the substrate molecules and provide information for subsequent works that can lead to mechanism of reactions.
KeywordsPhthalic acid Tertiary-butyl chromate 1,4-dioxan
The author gratefully acknowledges SAIF, CDRI, Lucknow, India, for elemental analysis and IR spectra. The author acknowledges the support of Ranchi University for the laboratory facilities. The author also acknowledges RDCIS and MECON, Ranchi, India, for TGA/DTA analysis.
- 1.J. Fugita, K. Nakamoto and M. Kobyashy, J. AM. Chem. Soc. 98. 3963, (1956)Google Scholar
- 2.A. K. Laha & A. B. Kulkarni, J. Sc. Ind. Res. 506 (1985)Google Scholar
- 3.G. Mishra, M. Alam, Renuka Thakur & N. Mishra, J. Inst. Chem. (Ind.) 63, 166 (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.G. Mishra, M. Alam, N. Dwivedi & N. N. Mishra, J. Inst. Chem. (Ind.) 63, 169 (1991)Google Scholar
- 5.R. K. Dubey, U. K. Dubey, C. M. Mishra “Synthesis and physiochemical characterization of some Schiff base complexes of Cr (III) complexes”. Indian J. Chem. 45A: 1638–1642 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.J. Environ Sci Health A Tox Hazard Subst Environ Eng 2006, 41, 1685–97.Google Scholar