Overview of Cryogens Production and Automation in Cryo-distribution at TIFR, Mumbai
Low temperature facility (LTF) of Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, (TIFR) Mumbai, India has been operating and maintaining helium liquefiers, nitrogen generators for more than five decades. LTF is one of the largest cryogenic facilities in India under the R&D Sectors. Cryogens being produced and dispensed to about 45 research laboratories within TIFR including some critical cryogen-using setups, magnetometer facility, homemade setups, various departments such as Nuclear and Atomic Physics, Chemical Sciences, Biological Sciences too use cryogens in a large quantities. In order to fulfill the above large cryogens demand and to maintain the supply in an uninterrupted manner, LTF implemented various automation in terms of cryogen distribution, Dewar tracking, reporting, etc. The paper will present our experience, architecture, methodology adopted, and automation implemented in the cryo-distribution at TIFR along with the proposed work.
KeywordsCryogens Dispensation Dewars Automation
The author expresses sincere thanks to Dr. Nihita Goel, Head Information Systems Development Group (ISDG—TIFR, Mumbai), Ms. Sushma Patel (ISDG, TIFR, Mumbai), Ms. Sarita Rane (ISDG, TIFR, Mumbai) and the staff at LTF of TIFR, for their support and cooperation.
- 2.Srinivasan, K.V., et al.: Liquid nitrogen distribution for Pelletron Linac Facility, Mumbai. J. Cryog. IJC 39 (2014). http://dx.doi.org/10.5958/2349-2120.2014.00808.5
- 3.Goel, N.: Automation of cryo-distribution and tracking system implemented at TIFR. Orla presentation at DAE-BRNS Workshop on Cryogenic Facility Management, TIFR, Mumbai, 9 Jan 2014Google Scholar
- 4.Data Sheet of ElsterI retro-fittable Low Frequency (LF) pulser for Elster-Instromet diaphragm gas meters. https://docuthek.kromschroeder.com/documents/download.php?lang=de&doc=37899
- 6.Srinivasan, K.V.: Cryogens production and distribution at TIFR, Mumbai, INDIA. In: Poster at 26th International Conference on Low Temperature Physics LT26, Beijing, China (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Srinivasan, K.V.: Oral presentation. Overview of cryogens production and automation in cryo-distribution at TIFR, Mumbai. In: National Conference on Advances in refrigeration and Cryogenics—NCARC-2016 held in MGM’s College of Engineering and Technology, Navi Mumbai on 11th June 2016Google Scholar
- 8.Panda, U.: Control system of cryogenic plant for superconducting cyclotron at VECC, VECC, Kolkatta. In: India Proceedings of Cyclotrons, Lanzhou, China MOPCP008 (2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Frederick, L., Labbe, G., et al.: Tracking Liquid Helium Production, Distribution, and Consumption by Networked Computer. Center for Ultra Low Temperature Research and Department of Physics, University of Florida, Gainesvile, FL 32611 USA. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0921-4526(99)02817-3
- 10.Siemens. Modular PLC controllers SIMATIC S7. http://www.automation.siemens.com/mcms/programmable-logic-controller/en/simatic-s7-controller/
- 11.Panda, U., et al.: Process control migration of 50 LPH helium liquefier. In: IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, vol. 171. http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1757-899X/171/1/012005/pdf