A Novel Beetle-Inspired Fuel Injection System for Improved Combustion Efficiency
Flash evaporation technique inspired from bombardier beetle was investigated for diesel fuel injection system to improve the burning efficiency. The effect of flash evaporation on spray cone angle and spray penetration was investigated for two injection pressures with pintle type injector. Both the parameters were measured using a camera at a speed of 120 frames per second. The results of our pilot study suggest that wider cone angle and moderate penetration can be achieved even at low injection pressures which will eventually help to improve the combustion process and fuel efficiency and reduces carbon emission.
KeywordsFlash evaporation Bombardier beetle Fuel injection system Carbon emission Biomimetics Spray and atomization
The authors would like to thank Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi (IITD), India, for permitting the first author to carry out this work as a summer research fellow and also appreciate Professor M. R. Ravi of IITD for providing valuable suggestions during this work.
- 1.Heywood, J.B.: Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals, vol. 930. McGraw-Hill, New York (1988)Google Scholar
- 2.Sirignano, W.A.: Fluid Dynamics and Transport of Droplets and Sprays. Cambridge University Press (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Crowley, P.J., Hilsbos, R.L., Wieland, H.L., Straub, R.D., Teerman, R.F., Timmer, R.C.: Common rail fuel injection system. Google Patents, 1992Google Scholar
- 5.Fort, L.N., Albert, A.F., Darragh, E.P.: High constant pressure, electronically controlled diesel fuel injection system. Google Patents, 1980Google Scholar
- 6.Rajkumar, S., Bakshi, S., Mehta, P.S.: Predicting mixing rates in multiple injection CRDI engines (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Lefebvre, A.H.: Atomization and Sprays, vol. 1040. CRC Press (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Parrish, S.E., Zink, R.J.: Spray characteristics of multi-hole injectors under flash boiling conditions. In: 21st Annual Conference on Liquid Atomization and Spray Systems (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.She, J.: Experimental Study on Improvement of Diesel Combustion and Emissions Using Flash Boiling Injection. SAE International, Warrendale, PA, SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0341 (2010)Google Scholar
- 18.Neroorkar, K., Gopalakrishnan, S., Grover, J., Schmidt, D.P.: Simulation of flash boiling in pressure swirl injectors. At. Sprays 21(2), 179–188 (2011)Google Scholar