Physical and Tribological Behaviour of Dual Particles Reinforced Metal Matrix Composites
Metal matrix composites (MMCs) have been an active area of research and scientific investigation for past few years, but only in recent times, MMCs have become realistic engineering materials. In the present study, physical and tribological performance of graphite and alumina particulates reinforced AA6351 matrix composites were examined experimentally. These final composites are produced through liquid metallurgy process. To examine the worn surface morphology of the composite was evidently exposed by scanning electron microscope (SEM) technique. The experimental results expose the tribological properties of composites increased with inclusion of filler reinforcements.
KeywordsAA6351 alloy Dual particles Tribological properties SEM Stir casting
- 2.David Raja Selvam, J., Robinson Smart, D.S., Dinaharan, I.: Microstructure and some mechanical properties of fly ash particulate reinforced AA6061 aluminum alloy composites prepared by compocasting. Mater. Des. 49, 28–34 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Kumar, M., Murugan, A.M., Baskaran, V., Hanumanth Ramji, K.S.: Effect of sliding distance on dry sliding tribological behaviour of aluminium hybrid metal matrix composite (AlHMMC): an alternate for automobile brake rotor—a grey relational approach. Proc. Inst. Mech. Eng. Part J J. Eng. Tribol. 228(3), 332–338 (2014)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Mohanavel, V., Rajan, K., Arul, S., Senthil, P.V.: Mechanical behaviour of hybrid composite (AA6351 + Al2O3 + Gr) fabricated by stir casting method. Mater. Today Proc. 4(2PA), 3093–3101 (2017)Google Scholar
- 7.Radhika, N., Subramanian, R.: Effect of reinforcement on wear behaviour of aluminium hybrid composites. Tribology 7(1), 36–41 (2013)Google Scholar
- 9.Veereshkumar, G.B., Swamy, A.R.K., Ramesha, A.: Studies on properties of as-cast Al6061-WC-Gr hybrid MMCs. J. Compos. Mater. 46(17), 2111–2122 (2011)Google Scholar