Effects of Nano- and Micro-Filler on Water Diffusion and Leakage Current of GRP Composites
This study investigates the effect of nano- and micro-fillers on water diffusion and leakage current of unidirectional electrically corrosion-resistant (ECR)-grade fiber glass-reinforced epoxy composite insulators. The process of fabrication includes dispersion of nano- and micro-fillers in an epoxy resin using high shear mixing followed by ultrasonication; ECR glass fibers were then embedded into the composite mixture by pultrusion technique. Fillers used were high-purity grade uncoated particles of nano-silica, nano-alumina, micron-sized aluminum trihydrate, calcium carbonate, and magnesium titanate. X-ray diffraction (XRD) and scanning electron microscope (SEM) with energy-dispersive analysis of X-rays (EDAX) were used to investigate crystallinity, morphology, and surface composition of the composites. Dye penetration, water diffusion, and leakage current measurements were performed to evaluate the effect of various fillers on the composites. Results evinced that addition of nano- and micro-fillers caused a reduction in the magnitude of leakage current.
KeywordsPultrusion Water diffusion Leakage current Composite insulators
The authors greatly acknowledge the encouragement and support rendered by the management of JSS Research foundation and Maharaja Institute of Technology, Mysore.
- 1.Armentrout, D., Kumosa, M., Kumosa, L.: Water diffusion into and electrical testing of composite insulator GRP rods. IEEE Trans. Dielectr. Electr. Insul. (July 2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Kumosa, M., Qiu, Q.: Failure Analysis of Composite Insulators. Final Report to the Pacific Gas and Electric Company, Department of Engineering, University of Denvar (1996)Google Scholar
- 4.Kumosa, M., Armentrout, D., Kumosa, L., Han, Y.: Failure Analysis of Composite High Voltage Insulators. EPRI (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Maxwel, D., Pethric, R.A.: Dielectric studies of water in epoxy resins. Poly. Sci. 28 (1983)Google Scholar
- 7.Pylarinos, D., Siderakis, K., Pyrgioti, E.: Measuring and analyzing leakage current for Outdoor insulators and specimens. Rev. Adv. Mater. Sci. 29, 31–53 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Boyale, A.A., Martin, C.J., Neuner, J.D.: Epoxy Resins. PolyComp.mse (2014)Google Scholar