Evaluation of Insect Resistance Using Tissue-Cultured Plants
Evaluation of insect resistance in plants using callus from plant tissue culture helps in understanding the nature and causes of resistance. Under controlled environmental conditions, tissue culture is an ideal way of evaluating resistance. Growth and feeding in insects are inhibited by callus of several insect-resistant plants. The methods to evaluate larval feeding preference and larval growth on callus are discussed in this chapter.
KeywordsPlant tissue culture Callus Insect resistance Bioassay Pest management
The authors would like to thank authorities of Annamalai University, Tamil Nadu, for their encouragement and support.
- Altaf, H., Iqbal Ahmed, Q., Hummera, N., & Ikram, U. (2012). Plant tissue culture: Current status and opportunities. In Recent advances in plant in vitro culture. Downloaded from: http://www.intechopen.com/books/recent-advances-in-plant-invitro-culture.
- Caballero, P., Shin, D. H., Khan, Z. R., Saxena, R. C., Juliano, B. O., & Zapata, F. J. (1988). Use of tissue culture to evaluate rice resistance to lepidopterous pests. International Rice Research Newsletter, 13(5), 14–15.Google Scholar
- Khan, Z. R. (1994). A review of entomological techniques and methods used to determine mechanisms and bases of stem borer resistance in maize. In Proceedings of an international symposium held at the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) 27 November – 3 December, 1994. Edited by: John A. Mihm.Insect Resistant Maize Recent Advances and Utilization.Google Scholar
- Michael Smith, C., Zeyaur, R. k., & Mano, D. P. (1994). Techniques for evaluating insect resistance in crop plants (pp. 291–294). Boca Raton: Lewis Publishers.Google Scholar
- Williams, W., Gerald, A. M., Jr., & Paul, M. B. (1994). Control of contamination in corn callus cultures used for insect resistance studies. Journal of Agricultural Entomology, 11(4), 339–344.Google Scholar
- Dua, R. P., Gowda, C. L. L., Kumar, S., Saxena, K. B., Govil, J. N., Singh, B. B., Singh, A. K., Singh, R. P., Singh, V. P., & Kranthi, S. (2005). Breeding for resistance to Heliothis: Effectiveness and limitations. In H. C. Sharma (Ed.), Heliothis/Helicoverpa management: Emerging trends and strategies for future research (pp. 223–242). New Delhi: Oxford and IBH Publishing company, Pvt. Ltd.Google Scholar
- Russel, G. E. (1978). Plant breeding for pest and disease resistance. London: Butterworths.Google Scholar
- Smith, C. M. (1998). Plant resistance to insects. In J. E. Rechcigl & N. A. Rechnigl (Eds.), Biological and biotechnological control of insect pests (pp. 171–208). Boca Raton: Fla. Lewis Publishers.Google Scholar