HDPS-BPSO Based Predictive Maintenance Scheduling for Backlash Error Compensation in a Machining Center
- 671 Downloads
This paper presents a novel HDPS-BPSO maintenance scheduling strategy for backlash error compensation in a machining center through binary particle swarm optimization (BPSO) and data-driven regression methods. During the experiment, a hierarchical diagnosis and prognosis system (HDPS) was leveraged to predict the potential backlash error first. Then BPSO is applied to provide optimized maintenance strategies through capturing the trade-off between several factors such as maintenance cost, machining accuracy, and defective percentage. The target of proposed predictive maintenance strategy is to minimize the cost of potential failures and relevant maintenance performances. The numerical result in this case demonstrates the benefit of implementing predictive maintenance compared with preventive one.
KeywordsMaintenance scheduling Binary particle swarm optimization Machining center Backlash error compensation
This work is supported by the CIRCIT (Circular Economy Integration in the Nordic Industry for Enhanced Sustainability and Competitiveness) project, which is financed by Nordic Green Growth Research and Innovation Programme.
- 1.Li, Z., Wang, Y., Wang, K.: A data-driven method based on deep belief networks for backlash error prediction in machining centers. J. Intell. Manufact. (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10845-017-1380-9
- 2.Rini, D.P., Shamsuddin, S.M., Yuhaniz, S.S.: Particle swarm optimization: technique, system and challenges. Int. J. Comput. Appl. 14(1), 19–26 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Eberhart, R., Kennedy, J.: A new optimizer using particle swarm theory. In: Proceedings of the Sixth International Symposium on Micro Machine and Human Science. MHS 1995, pp. 39–43. IEEE (1995)Google Scholar
- 5.Yu, Q.: New approaches for automated intelligent quality inspection system integration of 3D vision inspection, computational intelligence, data mining and RFID technology (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Eberhart, R.C., Shi, Y.: Comparing inertia weights and constriction factors in particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the 2000 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 84–88. IEEE (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Shi, Y., Eberhart, R.C.: Fuzzy adaptive particle swarm optimization. In: Proceedings of the 2001 Congress on Evolutionary Computation, pp. 101–106. IEEE (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Kennedy, J., Eberhart, R.C.: A discrete binary version of the particle swarm algorithm. In: 1997 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics. Computational Cybernetics and Simulation (1997)Google Scholar