PISA: Recent Developments in Offshore Wind Turbine Monopile Design
This paper provides a brief overview of the Pile Soil Analysis (PISA) project, recently completed in the UK. The research was aimed at developing new design methods for laterally loaded monopile foundations, such as those supporting offshore wind turbine structures. The paper first describes the background to the project and briefly outlines the key research elements completed. The paper concludes with a brief description of the anticipated impact of the work and describes initiatives that have followed since.
KeywordsOffshore wind PISA project Monopiles Finite element model
The Authors acknowledge the support from: the Carbon Trust (Offshore Wind Accelerator), Alstom Wind, Ørsted (lead Partner for the project), E.ON, EDF, Iberdrola, innogy, SSE, Statkraft, Statoil, Van Oord and Vattenfall.
- 1.Byrne, B.W., et al.: PISA: new design method for offshore wind turbine monopiles. In: SUT OSIG 8th International Conference, London, UK (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Burd, H.J., et al.: Design aspects for monopile foundations. In: Proceedings of TC209 Workshop: Foundation Design of Offshore Wind Structures, 19th ICSMGE, Seoul Korea (2017)Google Scholar
- 3.Byrne, B.W., et al.: New design methods for large diameter piles under lateral loading for offshore wind applications. In: Proceedings of 3rd International Symposium of Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics (ISFOG 2015), Oslo, Norway (2015)Google Scholar
- 4.API: RP 2A-WD—Recommended Practice for planning, Designing and Constructing Fixed Offshore Platforms. American Petroleum Institute, Washington (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Byrne, B.W., et al.: Field testing of large diameter piles under lateral loading for offshore wind applications. In: Proceedings of 15th European Conference Soil Mechanics and Geotechnical Engineering (XVECSMGE), Edinburgh, United Kingdom (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Zdravković, L., et al.: Numerical modelling of large diameter piles under lateral loading for offshore wind applications. In: Proceedings of 3rd International Symposium of Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics (ISFOG2015), Oslo, Norway (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.PLAXIS MoDeTo. https://www.plaxis.com/software/plaxis-modeto/. Accessed Mar 2018