Cell Death or Survival Against Oxidative Stress
Peroxisomes contain anabolic and catabolic enzymes including oxidases that produce hydrogen peroxide as a by-product. Peroxisomes also contain catalase to metabolize hydrogen peroxide. It has been recognized that catalase is localized to cytosol in addition to peroxisomes. A recent study has revealed that loss of VDAC2 shifts localization of BAK, a pro-apoptotic member of Bcl-2 family, from mitochondria to peroxisomes and cytosol, thereby leading to release of peroxisomal matrix proteins including catalase to the cytosol. A subset of BAK is localized to peroxisomes even in wild-type cells, regulating peroxisomal membrane permeability and catalase localization. The cytosolic catalase potentially acts as an antioxidant to eliminate extra-peroxisomal hydrogen peroxide.
KeywordsBAK Catalase CHO mutant Membrane permeabilization Oligomerization Oxidative stress Peroxisome Reactive oxygen species VDAC2, apoptosis
We thank the supports: MEXT KAKENHI grant JP26116007 and JSPS KAKENHI grants JP24247038, JP25112518, JP25116717, JP15K14511, JP15K21743, JP17H03675, and grants from the Takeda Science Foundation, the Naito Foundation, the Japan, Foundation for Applied Enzymology, and the Novartis Foundation (Japan) for the Promotion of Science.
- Chen HC, Kanai M, Inoue-Yamauchi A, Tu HC, Huang Y, Ren D, Kim H, Takeda S, Reyna DE, Chan PM, Ganesan YT, Chung-Ping Liao C-P, Gavathiotis E, Hsieh JJ, Cheng EH (2015) An interconnected hierarchical model of cell death regulation by the BCL-2 family. Nat Cell Biol 17:1270–1281CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Costello JL, Castro IG, Camões F, Schrader TA, McNeall D, Yang J, Giannopoulou E-A, Gomes S, Pogenberg V, Bonekamp NA, Ribeiro D, Wilmanns M, Jedd G, Islinger M, Schrader M (2017) Predicting the targeting of tail-anchored proteins to subcellular compartments in mammalian cells. J Cell Sci 130:1675–1687CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eriksson AM, Zetterqvist M-A, Lundgren B, Andersson K, Beije B, DePierre JW (1991) Studies on the intracellular distributions of soluble epoxide hydrolase and of catalase by digitonin-permeabilization of hepatocytes isolated from control and clofibrate-treated mice. Eur J Biochem 198:471–476CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ghaedi K, Itagaki A, Toyama R, Tamura S, Matsumura T, Kawai A, Shimozawa N, Suzuki Y, Kondo N, Fujiki Y (1999) Newly identified Chinese hamster ovary cell mutants defective in peroxisome assembly represent complementation group A of human peroxisome biogenesis disorders and one novel group in mammals. Exp Cell Res 248:482–488CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Grou CP, Francisco T, Rodrigues TA, Freitas MO, Pinto MP, Carvalho AF, Domingues P, Wood SA, Rodríguez-Borges JE, Sá-Miranda C, Fransen M, Azevedo JE (2012) Identification of ubiquitin-specific protease 9X (USP9X) as a deubiquitinase acting on ubiquitin-peroxin 5 (PEX5) thioester conjugate. J Biol Chem 287:12815–12827CrossRefGoogle Scholar