About the Book
This book is written for health managers and aspiring health managers working in geographically remote regions across the globe.
Managers need to consider the context; because context is important.
Managers need to localise their management practices by having the skills, capacity and the confidence to draw on their own knowledge and experience to find their own situation-specific solutions.
Human Resource Management (HRM) is the development of everything within an organisation that supports effective management practices.
Managers are the key to workforce sustainability in geographically remote regions.
- Alasia A, Bédard F, Bélanger J, Guimond E, Penney C (2017) Measuring remoteness and accessibility—a set of indices for Canadian communities, Catalogue no. 18-001-XGoogle Scholar
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) (2003) ASGC Remoteness classification: purpose and use (Census Paper No. 03/01). Canberra, Australia. http://www.abs.gov.au. Accessed 2 June 2018
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) (2006) Australian standard geographical classification (ASGC). ABS, Canberra, Australia. http://www.abs.gov.au. Accessed 2 June 2018
- Australian Human Rights Commission (2005) Questions and answers about aboriginal & Torres Strait islander peoples. http://www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/questions-and-answers-about-aboriginal-torres-strait-islander-peoples. Accessed 12 Oct 2018
- Australian Institute of Health and Welfare (AIHW) (2012) Australia’s health 2012. Australia’s health series (No.13. Cat. no. AUS 156). AIHW, Canberra, Australia. http://www.aihw.gov.au/publication-detail/?id=10737422172. Accessed 5 Sept 2017
- Beer M, Spector B, Lawrence PR, Mills DQ, Walton RE (1984) Managing human assets. The Free Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Buchan J (2010) Reviewing the benefits of health workforce stability. Hum Resour Health 8(29)Google Scholar
- Campbell J, Dussault G, Buchan J, Pozo-Martin F, Guerra Arias M, Leone C, Siyam A, Cometto G (2013) A universal truth: no health without a workforce. WHO Press, Geneva http://www.who.int/workforcealliance/knowledge/resources/GHWA_AUniversalTruthReport.pdf. Accessed 3 Sept 2017
- De Cieri H, Kramar R, Noe R, Hollenbeck J, Gerhart B, Wright PM (2004) Human Resource Management in Australia: strategy, people, performance.McGraw Hill Australia Pty Ltd., Macquarie Park, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- Dieleman M, Kane S, Zwanikken P, Gerretsen B (2011) Realist review and synthesis of retention studies for health workers in rural and remote areas, World Health Organization. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/44548/1/9789241501262_eng.pdf. Accessed 2 June 2018
- Garnett S, Coe K, Golebiowska K, Walsh H, Zander K, Guthridge S, Li S, Malyon R (2008) Attracting and keeping nursing professionals in an environment of chronic labour shortage: a study of mobility among nurses and midwives in the northern territory of Australia. Charles Darwin University Press, Darwin. http://digitallibrary.health.nt.gov.au/dspace/bitstream/10137/228/1/nurse_report.pdf. Accessed 5 Sept 2017
- Gorton S (2015) Who paints the picture? Images of health professions in rural and remote student resources. Rural Remote Health 15(3):3423Google Scholar
- Health Workforce Australia (HWA) (2012) Australia’s health workforce series—doctors in focus Adelaide. HWA, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- Health Workforce Australia (2013) National rural and remote workforce innovation and reform strategy. HWA, AdelaideGoogle Scholar
- Health Workforce Australia (HWA) (2014) Health workforce by numbers—Issue 3. HWA, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- Kabene SM, Orchard C, Howard JM, Soriano MA, Leduc R (2006) The importance of human resources management in health care: a global context. Hum Resour Health 4(20)Google Scholar
- Knights JA, Kennedy BJ (2005) Psychological contract violation: impacts on job satisfaction and organizational commitment among Australian senior public servants. Appl HRM Res 10(2):57–72Google Scholar
- MacLeod Martha L. P, Stewart Norma J, Kulig Judith C, Anguish P, Andrews M. E, Banner D, Garraway L, Hanlon N, Karunanayake C, Kilpatrick K, Koren I, Kosteniuk J, Martin-Misener R, Mix N, Moffitt P, Olynick J, Penz K, Sluggett L, Van Pelt L, Wilson E, Zimmer L (2017) Nurses who work in rural and remote communities in Canada: a national survey. Hum Resour Health 15(1):34Google Scholar
- Margolis S (2012) Is fly in/fly out (FIFO) a viable interim solution to address remote medical workforce shortages? Rural Remote Health 12:2261Google Scholar
- Mbemba G, Gagnon M, Paré G, Côté J (2013) Interventions for supporting nurse retention in rural and remote areas: an umbrella review. Hum Resour Health 11(44)Google Scholar
- Newhook J, Neis B, Jackson L, Roseman S, Romanow P, Vincent C (2011) Employment-related mobility and the health of workers, families, and communities: the Canadian context. Labour (Spring):121–156Google Scholar
- Ono T, Schoenstein M, Buchan J (2014) Geographic imbalances in doctor supply and policy responses, OECD Health Working Papers, No. 69. OECD Publishing, Paris. http://dx.doi.org/10.1787/5jz5sq5ls1wl-en. Accessed 2 June 2018
- Productivity Commission (2005) Australia’s health workforce, Research Report. http://www.pc.gov.au/inquiries/completed/health-workforce/report/healthworkforce.pdf. Accessed 5 Sept 2017
- Robertson R (2014) Leading on the edge. Wiley, AustraliaGoogle Scholar
- Safdar R (2012) Relative and cross-national human resources management research: development of a hypothetical model. Glob J Manag Bus Res 12(2):6–19Google Scholar
- Torres Strait Islander Regional Council (2016) Our geography. http://www.tsirc.qld.gov.au/. Accessed 29 Sept 2017
- Weymouth S, Davey C, Wright J, Nieuwoudt L, Barclay L, Belton S, Svenson S, Bowell L (2007) What are the effects of distance management on the retention of remote area nurses in Australia? Rural Remote Health 7(3):652Google Scholar
- World Health Organisation (WHO) (2010) Increasing access to health workers in remote and rural areas through improved retention. WHO Press, France. http://www.searo.who.int/nepal/mediacentre/2010_increasing_access_to_health_workers_in_remote_and_rural_areas.pdf. Accessed 5 Sept 2017
- Zuber-Skerritt O, Wood L, Louw I (2015) A participatory paradigm for an engaged scholarship in higher education. Sense Publishers, RotterdamGoogle Scholar