A Global Perspective on Fathering
From the time Michael Lamb (the father of fathering research) first acknowledged the role of fathers in child development through academic literature, from the west in 1976, we have come a long way since the UN endorsed the importance to be accorded to men and fathers in families in its publication titled Men in Families, and Family Policy in a Changing World and State of worlds fathers (2015, 2017). I focus on introducing you to how fathering has become an important theme of academic study in the last few decades. This has led to an understanding about fathering roles and variations across different cultures and the challenges to involved fathering, drawing from important published literature. In addition, I will outline a variety of programmes that are in place in various parts of the globe to promote involved fathering and, very briefly, orient you to the emerging dialogue on the need for family friendly policies, in order to encourage or support the father’s involvement.
KeywordsFatherhood Programmes for fathers Global perspective Father friendly policies
- Barker, G., & Pawlak, P. (2011). Men, families, gender equality and care work. In United Nations, Men in families, and family policy in a changing world (pp. 9–46., sales no E.11.IV.1). New York: UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division for Social and Policy Development.Google Scholar
- Bernard van Leer Foundation. (2004). Supporting fathers: Contributions from the international fatherhood summit. Early Childhood Development: Practices and Reflections, 20, 5–155.Google Scholar
- Best Start Resource Centre. (2012). Step by step: Engaging fathers in programs for families. Toronto: Author.Google Scholar
- Bryan, D. M. (2013). To parent or provide? The effect of the provider role on low-income Men’s decisions about fatherhood and paternal engagement. Fathering, 11(1), 71–89. Retrieved from http://www.mensstudies.info/OJS/index.php/FATHERING/article/view/362/pdf_178. https://doi.org/10.3149/fth.1101.71.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- DeGeer, I., Carolo, H., & Minerson, T. (2014). Give love, get love: The involved fatherhood and gender equality project. Toronto: White Ribbon Campaign.Google Scholar
- Haas, L., & O’Brien, M. (2010). New observations on how fathers work and care: Introduction to the special issue men, work and parenting. Fathering, 8(3), 271–275 Retrieved from http://www.mensstudies.info/OJS/index.php/FATHERING/article/view/317/pdf_133.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Knipe, M. H. (2011). Migration, families and men in families. In United Nations, Men in families, and family policy in a changing world (pp. 127–162., sales no E.11.IV.1). New York: UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division for Social and Policy Development.Google Scholar
- Lamb, M. E. (2010). How do fathers influence children’s development? Let me count the ways. In M. Lamb (Ed.), The role of father in child development (5th ed., pp. 1–26). Hoboken: Wiley Retrieved from https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/rferrer/VisitationSchedule/Various%20Topics%20Articles/LambRoleFather2010.pdf.Google Scholar
- Levtov, R., van der Gaag, N., Greene, M., Kaufman, M., & Barker, G. (2015). State of the world’s fathers: A men care advocacy publication. Washington, DC: Promundo, Rutgers, Save the Children, Sonke Gender Justice, and the Men Engage Alliance.Google Scholar
- Mc Alister, F., & Burgess, A. (2012). Fatherhood: Parenting programs and policy – A critical review of best practice. Marlborough: Fatherhood Institute.Google Scholar
- National Centre for Fathering. (2009) Fathering court: Getting to the heart of child support. Retrieved from http://www.fathers.com/documents/fatheringcourt/Fathering_Court_Booklet_Final.pdf.
- Pattnaik, J. (Ed.). (2012). Father involvement in young children’s lives: A global analysis. New York: Springer.Google Scholar
- Perry, A. R. (2012, June 19). Man up: Integrating fatherhood and community engagement. Posted in JCES, 4(1). Retrieved from http://jces.ua.edu/man-up-integrating-fatherhood-and-community-engagement/.
- Richter, L., Chikovore, J., Makusha, T., Bhana, A., Mokomane, Z., Swartz, S., & Makiwane, M. (2011). In United Nations, Men in families, and family policy in a changing world (pp. 48–84, sales no E.11.IV.1). New York: UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division for Social and Policy Development.Google Scholar
- Roopnarine, J. L. (2015). Fathers across cultures: The importance roles and diverse practices of dads. Santa Barbara: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Shwalb, D. W., Shwalb, B. J., & Lamb, M. E. (Eds.). (2013). Fathers in cultural context. New York: Psychology Press.Google Scholar
- Sriram, R., Eckensberger, L. H., & Sandhu, K. (2002, July). Application of action theory to fathering ideals and practices in Indian context. Paper presented at biennial meeting of the International Society for the Study of Behavior and Development, Ottawa, Canada.Google Scholar
- Tinkew, C., Allen, B., & Mbawa&, M. (2007). Elements of promising practice for fatherhood programs: Evidence based research findings on programs for fathers. Gaithersberg: National Responsible Fatherhood Clearing House.Google Scholar
- UNICEF. (2011, June). Convention of elimination of all forms of discrimination against women in brief for adolescents. Retrieved from https://www.unicef.org/crc/files/Rights_overview.pdf.
- UNICEF. (n.d.). FACT SHEET: A summary of the rights under the convention. Retrieved from https://www.unicef.org/crc/files/Rights_overview.pdf.
- United Nations. (1995). Programme of action adopted at the ICPD, Cairo 5–13 September. New York: United Nations.Google Scholar
- United Nations. (2011, 2015). Men in families, and family policy in a changing world and state of world fathers (sales no E.11.IV.1). New York: UN Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Division for Social and Policy Development.Google Scholar
- Wall, K., & O’Brien, M. (2017). Discussion and conclusions. In M. O’Brien, & K. Wall (Eds.), Comparative perspectives on work-life balance and gender equality (Life Course Research and Social Policies, vol 6, pp. 11–28). Springer Open https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-42970-0_2 retrieved from http://repositorio.ul.pt/bitstream/10451/25537/1/ICS_KWall_Comparative_LEI.pdf.Google Scholar
- Yeung, J. J. W. (Guest Editor). (2013). Asian fatherhood, Journal of Marriage and Family Issues; Special Issue: Asian Fatherhood, 34(2), 141–290.Google Scholar