The ICT Tsunami and Your Future
This chapter brings out the essence of the sweeping waves of changes precipitated by ICT and the innovations in its wake, some of them transforming ICT itself. It highlights key issues and risks and outlines the possible ways in which they can be tackled. Since the idea is to spur the organization to greater successes using ICT, the solutions will be discussed in terms of a framework. Such an approach will ensure that the organization is in a position to exploit opportunities without collapsing from within/without; and it will also aid the “minimalist approach” which favors a high economy of effort and resources. The new waves of technology, radical business models, competition, and regulations which hit the industry at an unrelenting and ever-increasing pace are ample illustration of the fact that ICT has become all pervasive in transforming all the industries. Given this context, it becomes imperative for organizations to understand the main elements of such change(s) especially when they have decided to embrace the ICT models. Concomitantly, this will also enable them to effectively map out their future based on how relevant each of the specific elements is to their location/profile(s). This chapter will therefore explore the manner/modalities through which ICT is acting as a major force of transformation within the industries.
KeywordsTsunami Disruption Business cycle Paradigm shift Microservices Cloud Partnership Collaboration Automation AI—Artificial Intelligence Ecosystem Contagion effects Fragmentation Differentiation Regulation Cybersecurity Inequality Workforce Opportunity Ikigai Specialization Integration Open innovation
- Airbnb. (2018). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airbnb.
- BioCarbon Engineering. (2018). Retrieved from www.biocarbonengineering.com.
- Birudavolu, Sriram (2015): “Open Innovation in ICT: An Empirical Assesment of Global Telecommunications Services”; Unpublished Thesis submitted for PhD at Indian Institute of Foreign Trade, New DelhiGoogle Scholar
- Biesheuvel, T. (2017, June). How Just 14 People Make 500,000 Tons of Steel a Year in Austria. Bloomberg. Retrieved from www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-21/how-just-14-people-make-500-000-tons-of-steel-a-year-in-austria.
- Capgemini Consulting. (2015). Retrieved from https://www.capgemini-consulting.com/resource-file-access/resource/pdf/digital_disruption_1.pdf.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017a). Ukraine Attacks. Retrieved from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/ukraine-cyber-attack-hackers-national-bank-state-power-company-airport-rozenko-pavlo-cabinet-a7810471.html.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017b). Retrieved from http://www.fico.com/en/blogs/analytics-optimization/the-story-behind-europes-e1-8-billion-card-fraud-problem/.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017c). Retrieved from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-07-07/russians-are-said-to-be-suspects-in-hacks-involving-nuclear-site.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017d). Retrieved from http://www.newsweek.com/hacked-killer-robots-serious-threat-humans-property-562153.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017e). Retrieved from https://www.vccircle.com/alibabas-ucweb-under-govt-scanner-over-data-leak-may-face-ban/.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017f). Retrieved from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-cyber-opm/chinese-national-arrested-in-los-angeles-on-u-s-hacking-charge-idUSKCN1B42RM.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017g). Retrieved from https://www.theverge.com/2017/8/29/16219426/google-removes-apps-play-store-hijack-phones-ddos-attacks.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017h). Retrieved from https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-24/cyber-criminals-extracting-a-heavy-toll-from-ethereum-advocates.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017i). Retrieved from http://www.zdnet.com/article/onliner-spambot-largest-ever-malware-campaign-millions/.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017j). Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/aug/31/hacking-risk-recall-pacemakers-patient-death-fears-fda-firmware-update.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017k). Retrieved from http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/849158/Instagram-login-hack-download-user-e-mails-Selena-Gomez-Emma-Watson-Emilia-Clarke.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017l). Retrieved from https://www.cnbc.com/2017/09/01/around-4-million-time-warner-personal-records-exposed-in-data-leak.html.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017m). Retrieved from https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/09/equifax-website-hack-exposes-data-for-143-million-us-consumers/.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017n). Retrieved from www.wikileaks.ch.
- Cyber Attacks. (2017o). Retrieved from http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-09-08/equifax-hit-70-billion-lawsuit-after-leaking-143-million-social-security-numbers.
- Forbes. (2018, February 22). Breaking Down Uber’s Valuation: An Interactive Analysis. Retrieved from www.forbes.com/sites/greatspeculations/2018/02/22/breaking-down-ubers-valuation-an-interactive-analysis.
- Fossbytes. (2017, December). Google’s AI Creates Its Own AI That Beats the Performance of Other Human-Made Models. Retrieved from https://fossbytes.com/google-ai-automl-nasnet-performance/.
- Fruhlinger, J. (2017, August). What Is Stuxnet, Who Created It and How Does It Work?, CSO. Retrieved from https://www.csoonline.com/article/3218104/malware/what-is-stuxnet-who-created-it-and-how-does-it-work.html.
- Innosight, 2018, Corporate Longevity Forecast: Creative Destruction is Accelerating, https://www.innosight.com/insight/creative-destruction/
- Juniper Research. (2018). Cybercrime Will Cost Businesses over $2 Trillion by 2019. Retrieved from https://www.juniperresearch.com/press/press-releases/cybercrime-cost-businesses-over-2trillion.
- Keller, M. (2016, September). These Engineers 3D Printed a Mini Jet Engine, Then Took It to 33,000 RPM. Retrieved from www.ge.com/reports/post/118394013625/these-engineers-3d-printed-a-mini-jet-engine-then.
- Kira. (2015). ORNL Unveils Integrated 3D Printed House and Car That Produce and Share Clean Energy. Retrieved from www.3ders.org/articles/20150923-ornl-unveils-integrated-3d-printed-house-and-car-that-produce-and-share-clean-energy.html.
- Livemint. (2017, September 17). Retrieved from http://www.livemint.com/Industry/2EAq3qUEnUvgemPy6nX4SL/ExCiti-CEO-Vikram-Pandit-says-30-of-bank-jobs-at-risk-from.html?utm_source=inshorts&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=fullarticle.
- McFarland, M. (2016, October). Amazon Only Needs a Minute of Human Labor to Ship Your Next Package. Retrieved from http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/06/technology/amazon-warehouse-robots/index.html.
- Microsoft. (2017, August). Microsoft Researchers Achieve New Conversational Speech Recognition Milestone. Retrieved from www.microsoft.com/en-us/research/blog/microsoft-researchers-achieve-new-conversational-speech-recognition-milestone.
- Miralles, F., & Garcia, H. (2016). Ikigai: The Japanese Secret to a Long and Happy Life. Retrieved from https://books.google.com.
- Mobile-only Banks. (2018). Retrieved from http://mobileonlybank.com/.
- Mourdoukoutas, P. (2017). Alibaba Beats Amazon. Forbes. Retrieved from www.forbes.com/sites/panosmourdoukoutas/2017/08/22/alibaba-beats-amazon.
- Nash, A. (2018). Ikigai: How to Find Professional Success. Retrieved from https://adamnash.blog/2018/02/06/ikigai-how-to-find-professional-success/.
- Netflix. (2018). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netflix.
- Nike. (2018). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nike,_Inc.
- Paris, C. (2017, May). Norway Takes Lead in Race to Build Autonomous Cargo Ships. Wall Street Journal. Retrieved from www.wsj.com/articles/norway-takes-lead-in-race-to-build-autonomous-cargo-ships-1500721202.
- Perry, M. J. (2017, October 20). Fortune 500 Firms 1955 v. 2017: Only 60 Remain, Thanks to the Creative Destruction That Fuels Economic Prosperity, American Enterprise Institute. Retrieved from http://www.aei.org/publication/fortune-500-firms-1955-v-2017-only-12-remain-thanks-to-the-creative-destruction-that-fuels-economic-prosperity/.
- Rolls-Royce. (2015). Rolls-Royce Trent XWB-97 Completes First Test Flight. Retrieved from www.rolls-royce.com/media/press-releases/yr-2015/pr-06-11-2015-rolls-royce-trent-xwb-97-completes-first-test-flight.aspx.
- Saunders, S. (2017, October). GE Aviation Completes Successful Tests of FATE Engine and T901 Engine Prototype, Both Featuring 3D Printed Components. Retrieved from https://3dprint.com/190427/ge-aviation-engine-test.
- Simonite, T. (2018, February 28). Using AI to Help Stroke Victims When ‘Time Is Brain’. Wired Magazine. Retrieved from www.wired.com/story/using-ai-to-help-stroke-victims-when-time-is-brain.
- Weiner, S. (2016, September). Facebook’s Arctic Data Center is Eeerily Beautiful. Retrieved from www.popularmechanics.com/technology/g2792/photos-of-facebooks-swedish-data-center-are-eerily-beautiful/.
- Wikipedia, Alibaba. (2018). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alibaba_Group.
- Wikipedia, Amazon. (2018). Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_(company).
- Xia, Z. (2016). JD.com Builds World’s First Fully Automated Warehouse in Shanghai, Yi Cai Global. Retrieved from https://yicaiglobal.com/news/jdcom-builds-world%E2%80%99s-first-fully-automated-warehouse-shanghai.