Winning the Competition
This chapter distills the ways in which to win the competition in the market by leveraging ICT and innovation. A boilerplate template process is laid out. The main things to pay attention to are described, such as platforms, being competition-centric (not just customer-centric), using metadata, building communities, embracing lean and agile thinking, and so on.
KeywordsCompetition DVI Design Value Index Design Thinking D.School IDM Automation Platform Scale Metadata Communities Lean Agile PDCA Kaizen Sprint Open innovation Co-creation Open Compute Customer-centric Competition-centric Social capital Crowdsourcing
- Afuah, A. (2003). Innovation Management: Strategies, Implementation and Management (2nd ed.). Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Agile Organization. Retrieved from www.agile.org.uk.
- Analysys Mason. (2015). It Is Time for Telcos to Adopt a Platform-Based Business Model. Retrieved from http://www.analysysmason.com/About-Us/News/Newsletter/telcos-platforms-Jun2015/.
- Andriole, S. J. (2018, April). MIT Sloan Management Review. Retrieved from https://sloanreview.mit.edu/article/implement-first-ask-questions-later-or-not-at-all/.
- Brigwater, A. (2015). What’s the Difference Between a Software Product and a Platform. Forbes. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/adrianbridgwater/2015/03/17/whats-the-difference-between-a-software-product-and-a-platform/#5c00807356a6.
- Clarks, J. (2009, June). The Difference between Platform and Product. Retrieved from http://jonathanclarks.blogspot.in/2009/06/what-is-difference-between-platform-and.html.
- Creaner, M. (2017, September). Telco Digital Transformation: The Conditions, Journeys, and Destinations. Huawei. Retrieved from http://www.huawei.com/en/about-huawei/publications/winwin-magazine/plus-intelligence/telco-digital-transformation.
- D.School, Stanford’s Design Thinking School. Retrieved from https://dschool.stanford.edu/.
- Design Management Institute. Retrieved from www.dmi.org.
- DVI, Design Value Index. Design Management Institute. Retrieved from www.dmi.org.
- Hansson, D. H. The World Needs More Modest, Linear Growth Companies. Retrieved from https://m.signalvnoise.com/the-world-needs-more-modest-linear-growth-companies-please-make-some-609b5a10a9e0.
- Joy, B. Joy’s Law. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joy%27s_law_(management).
- Knight, F. Knightian Uncertainty. Retrieved from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knightian_uncertainty.
- LFN, Linux Foundation for Networking. Retrieved from https://www.linuxfoundation.org/projects/networking/.
- MITidm. (2018). Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Integrated Design and Management. Retrieved from https://idm.mit.edu.
- Moazed, A. (2016, May). Platform Business Model—Definition. Retrieved from https://www.applicoinc.com/blog/what-is-a-platform-business-model/.
- OCP, Open Compute Project. Retrieved from http://www.opencompute.org/.
- Platform Hunt. The 9 Types of Software Platforms. Retrieved from https://medium.com/platform-hunt/the-8-types-of-software-platforms-473c74f4536a.
- Ries, E. (2011). The Lean Startup. Crown Publishing. ISBN 0307887898.Google Scholar
- Roberts, E. B. (2002, April). Innovation: Driving Product, Process, and Market Change (1st ed.). Jossey-Bass. ISBN-10: 0787962139, ISBN-13: 978-0787962135.Google Scholar
- Techopedia. Retrieved from https://www.techopedia.com/definition/3411/platform.
- TIP, Telecom Infra Project. (2018). Retrieved from http://telecominfraproject.com/.
- Wildcat Ventures. (2017). The Traction Gap Framework. Retrieved from http://wildcat.vc/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/Traction-Gap-Framework-9.14.17.pdf.
- Zeichick, A. (2018, February 8). Forbes. Retrieved from www.forbes.com/sites/oracle/2018/02/05/prediction-80-of-routine-it-operations-will-soon-be-solved-autonomously/#46eec2071b46.