Readout Electronics for the TPC Detector in the MPD/NICA Project
The article is aimed at describing the development status, design features and advanced version of the TPC data readout system.
The TPC is placed in the middle of the Multi-Purpose Detector and provides tracking and identification of charged particles in the pseudorapidity range |η| < 1.2.
Tracks in the TPC are registered by 24 readout chambers that are placed at both end-caps of the sensitive volume. The readout system of each chamber consists of the front-end cards (FECs, 62 per chamber) and a readout control unit (RCU). FECs collect signals directly from the chamber pads, amplify them, digitize, process and transfer it to the RCU.
The design concept and improvement have been motivated by NICA project requirements for a trigger rate up to 7 kHz with mean tracks multiplicity of 300 tracks (maximum multiplicity – up to 1000 tracks) and by the requirement of TPC end-caps transparency about X/Xo = (15÷20)%.
KeywordsTime projection chambers (TPC) Front-end electronics for detector readout
The authors wish to express their gratitude to L. Musa and C. Lippmann for their interest towards our work and support. We also thank A. Kluge and M. Bregant for the opportunity to participate in testing the SAMPA chip also at the VBLHEP, JINR.
- 1.Kekelidze, V., et al.: Status of the NICA project at JINR. In: EPJ Web of Conference 95, 01014 (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.Abraamyan, K., et al.: The MPD detector at the NICA heavy-ion collider at JINR. Nucl. Instrum. Method A 628, 99 (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Abraamyan, K., et al.: MPD collaboration, the multipurpose detector (MPD). Conceptual Design Report, JINR, Dubna, Russia (2010)Google Scholar
- 4.Aver’yanov, A.V., et al.: Time-projection chamber of the MPD detector at NICA collider complex. Yadernaya fizika i inzhiniring [in Russian] 4(9), 867 (2013)Google Scholar
- 5.Aver’yanov, A.V.: Time-projection chamber for the MPD NICA project. J. Instrum. 9, C09036 (2014)Google Scholar
- 6.Aver’yanov, A.V. et al.: Readout system of the TPC/MPD NICA project. Yadernaya fizika i inzhiniring [in Russian] 5(11–12), 916 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Aver’yanov, A.V. et al.: Readout system of TPC/MPD NICA project. Phys. At. Nuclei 78(13), 1556–1562 (2015)Google Scholar
- 8.ALICE TPC Electronics.: Charge sensitive shaping amplifier (PASA). Technical Specifications, CERN (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.ALICE TPC Readout Chip: User Manual. CERN. Draft 0.2. ALTRO chip web page. http://ep-ed-alice-tpc.web.cern.ch/ep-ed-alice-tpc, June 2002
- 10.Barboza, S.H.I., et al.: SAMPA chip: a new ASIC for the ALICE TPC and MCH upgrades. J. Instrum. 11, C02088 (2016)Google Scholar
- 12.Bazhazhin, A., et al.: Front end electronics for TPC MPD/NICA. In: Proceeding of XXIII International Symposium on Nuclear Electronics & Computing Varna. JINR. E 10(11), 133 (2011)Google Scholar
- 13.Averyanov, A., et al.: R&D readout electronics of the TPC MPD/NICA. In: Proceeding of XXIV International Symposium on Nuclear Electronics & Computing. Varna. JINR. E 10(11), 136, 265 (2013)Google Scholar