Between the User and the Cloud: Assessing the Energy Footprint of the Access Network Devices
- 415 Downloads
The energy and overall environmental footprint of the Internet and the increasing data traffic is of public and political concern. Such quantification would require substantial international measurement campaigns and in effect the collection of large amounts of data that are typically considered business secrets. In this paper the authors introduce an approach for modeling the energy and environmental footprint of the Internet on the example of radio access networks. The concept derives from process flow modeling.
KeywordsTelecommunication networks Data path Process flow model Life cycle assessment Energy Resources
- 1.Stobbe L, Proske M, Zedel H, Hintemann R, Clausen J, Beucker S. “Entwicklung des IKT-bedingten Strombedarfs in Deutschland” (development of ICT related electricity demand in Germany). Study for the German Federal Ministry for Economy and Energy (BMWi), Berlin; 2015.Google Scholar
- 2.Stobbe L, Proske M, Beucker S, Hintemann R, Lang K-D. Energy efficiency of ICT: further improvement through customized products. In: Proceedings of International Congress Electronics Goes Green 2016+, ISBN: 9783000537639. Berlin, Germany; 2016.Google Scholar
- 3.CISCO. Cisco visual networking index: forecast and methodology, 2016–2021. 2017. http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/solutions/collateral/service-provider/visual-networking-index-vni/complete-white-paper-c11-481360.pdf
- 4.Koomey J. Growth in data center electricity use 2005 to 2010. 2011. scholar.google.com/citations?user=B58w_bQAAAAJ&hl=en. Oakland, CA: Analytics Press.
- 6.Hara M, Sakurai A, Oka H, Tanaka Y, Yamaguchi Y, Kishita Y, Umeda Y, Shimoda Y. Analysis modeling for electricity consumption in communication buildings. In: Matsumoto M et al., editor. Sustainability through innovation in product life cycle design — Proceedings of EcoDesign 2015: 9th international symposium on environmentally conscious design and inverse manufacturing. Springer; 2016. pp. 537–42.Google Scholar
- 7.Sandborn P. Cost analysis of electronic systems. WSPC series in advanced integration and packaging, Vol. 1. World Scientific; 2012. ISSN: 2315-473X.Google Scholar