Rényi’s Entropy and Bat Algorithm Based Color Image Multilevel Thresholding
Colored satellite images are difficult to segment due to their low illumination, dense features, uncertainties, etc. Rényi’s entropy is a famous entropy criterion that provides excellent outputs in bi-level thresholding based segmentation. But such method suffers lack of accuracy, inefficiency, and instability when extended to perform color image multilevel thresholding. Therefore, a new color image multilevel segmentation strategy based on Bat algorithm and Rényi’s entropy is proposed in this paper to determine the optimal threshold values more efficiently. The experiments are conducted on four real satellite images and two well-known test images at different threshold levels. The study shows that the proposed algorithm obtains good quality and adequate segmented results more effectively as compared to other multilevel thresholding algorithms such as Rényi’s-PSO and Otsu-PSO.
KeywordsColor images Multilevel thresholding Rényi’s entropy Bat algorithm
- 14.Pare, S., Bhandari, A.K., Kumar, A., Singh, G.K., Khare, S.: Satellite image segmentation based on different objective functions using genetic algorithm: a comparative study. In: IEEE International Conference on Digital Signal Processing (DSP), pp. 1–13. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 22.Pare, S., Bhandari, A.K., Kumar, A., Bajaj, V.: Backtracking search algorithm for color image multilevel thresholding. Signal Image Video Process 1–8 (2017)Google Scholar
- 23.Yang, X.S.: A new metaheuristic bat-inspired algorithm. In: Nature Inspired Cooperative Strategies for Optimization (NICSO 2010), pp. 65–74 (2010)Google Scholar
- 26.Alihodzic, A., Tuba, M.: Bat algorithm (BA) for image thresholding. In: Recent Researches in Telecommunications, Informatics, Electronics and Signal Processing, pp. 17–19 (2013)Google Scholar
- 27.Alihodzic, A., Tuba, M.: Improved bat algorithm applied to multilevel image thresholding. The Sci. World J. (2014)Google Scholar