Writing the Review of Literature in a Thesis
Literature review is the search and critical appraisal of existing literature on a topic.
It helps in formulating a research question after finding a knowledge gap.
The research topic provides the roadmap to literature search.
Literature search sources are scanned with the help of search tools.
The retrieved data is put through the sieve of PICO format to shortlist articles.
The literature is critically appraised analysed and synthesised.
The results are compared and contrasted.
The literature review is organised and written systematically.
The knowledge gaps are highlighted and scope for future research brought out.
- 1.Hart C. Doing a Literature Review. London: Sage Publications; 1998.Google Scholar
- 3.Coughlan M, Cronin P. Doing a literature review in nursing, health and social care. London: Sage Publications; 2017.Google Scholar
- 4.Booth A, Papaioannou D, Sutton A. Systematic approaches to a successful literature review. Los Angeles, CA: Sage; 2012.Google Scholar
- 5.Higgins JPT, Green S (editors). Cochrane handbook for systematic reviews of interventions version 5.1.0. [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane collaboration. 2011.Google Scholar
- 6.Gash S. Effective literature searching for research. 2nd ed. Aldershot: Gower Publishing Ltd.; 1999.Google Scholar
- 8.SearchCIO.com Acronym and term Definitions: Boolean. http://searchcio.techtarget.com/gDefinition/0,294236,sid19_gci211695,00.html. (Last accessed: 27 Aug 2017).
- 9.Ridley D. The literature review: a step-by-step guide for students. Los Angeles, CA: Sage; 2012.Google Scholar
- 10.Parkes J, Hyde C, Deeks J, Milne R. Teaching critical appraisal skills in health care settings. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2001;3:CD001270.Google Scholar
- 11.Khalid K, Regina K, Jos K, Gerd A. Systematic reviews to support evidence-based medicine. 2nd ed. New York: CRC Press; 2011.Google Scholar
- 12.British Medical Association. Reference styles: Harvard and Vancouver. Available from: http://www.bma.org.uk/library_medline/electronic_resources/factsheets/LIBReferenceStyles.jsp [last accessed on 27 Aug 2017].