Aggregated Rank in First-Fit-Decreasing for Green Cloud Computing
Virtual Machine (VM) placement in a cloud data center is a Vector Bin-Packing (VBP) problem to minimize the number of PMs used for hosting the given VM requests. First-Fit-Decreasing (FFD) variants are widely used for VM placement. In this paper, a novel FFD variant, Aggregated Rank in FFD (FFD-AR) is proposed for VM placement. Simulation experiments were carried out using two datasets: a dataset inspired by Amazon EC2 instances and another is a synthetic dataset. The packing efficiency of the proposed FFD-AR results is better as compared to all the other baseline FFD variants. We believe the proposed FFD-AR can be applied to wide applications of VBP like production planning and logistics.
KeywordsCloud computing VM placement VM consolidation Infrastructure as a service Vector Bin-packing
The authors thank the Department of Science and Technology for their financial support (SR/FST/ETI-349/2013) under Fund for Improvement of S&T Infrastructure in Universities and Higher Educational Institutions.
- 1.Gartner Says By 2020, a Corporate “No-Cloud” Policy Will Be as Rare as a “No-Internet” Policy Is Today, http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/3354117
- 3.Panigrahy, R., Talwar, K., Uyeda, L., Wieder, U.: Heuristics for vector bin packing. Res. Microsoft., 1–14 (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Lee, S., Prabhakaran, R.P.V., Ramasubramanian, V., Uyeda, K.T.L., Wieder, U.: Validating heuristics for virtual machines consolidation. Res. Microsoft. 81–97 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Wu, G., Tang, M., Tian, Y.C., Li, W.: Energy-efficient virtual machine placement in data centers by genetic algorithm. In: Lecture Notes in Computer Science (including subseries Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence and Lecture Notes in Bioinformatics), pp. 315–323 (2012)Google Scholar
- 9.Furlong, J., Shi, L., Wang, R.: Empirical evaluation of vector bin packing algorithms for energy efficient data centers—Vinicius (consolidação). In: 2013 IEEE Symposium on Computers and Communications (ISCC) (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Xiong, A., Xu, C.: Energy efficient multiresource allocation of virtual machine based on PSO in cloud data center. Math. Probl. Eng. 2014, 1–8 (2014)Google Scholar