Kinship Verification from Facial Images Using Feature Descriptors
Kinship Verification via facial images is an emerging research topic in the field of biometrics, pattern recognition, and computer vision. It is motivated by the findings that individuals with some genetic relations have certain similarities in their facial appearances. These similarities in the facial appearance is a result of inherited facial features from one generation to next generation, especially from parents to children. The researchers use these inherited facial features to perform Kinship Verification and validate their results. Most of the existing methods in Kinship Verification are based on metric learning which aims to improve the verification rate ignoring the effect of salient facial features. This paper aims to learn the effect of extracted facial features between pair of facial images to perform Kinship Verification. This paper proposes different feature descriptors to describe salient facial features and support vector machine classifier to learn these extracted facial features. To validate the accuracy of the proposed methods, experiments are performed on KinFaceW-I dataset. The results obtained outperformed previous results and would encourage researchers to focus on this emerging topic.
KeywordsKinship verification Genetic similarity Feature extraction Feature classification Support vector machine (SVM)
The research work is supported by Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India for the research grant. The sanctioned project title is “Design and development of an Automatic Kinship Verification system for Indian faces with possible integration of AADHAR Database.” with reference no. ECR/2016/001659.
- 9.Dibeklio˘ glu, H., Salah, A.A., Gevers, T.: Are you really smiling at me? Spontaneous versus posed enjoyment smiles. In: European Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 525–538. Springer (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Fang, R., Tang, K.D., Snavely, N., Chen, T.: Towards computational models of kinship verification. In: 17th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 1577–1580. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 13.Zhou, X., Lu, J., Hu, J., Shang, Y.: Gabor-based gradient orientation pyramid for kinship verification under uncontrolled environments. In: Proceedings of the 20th ACM International Conference on Multimedia, pp. 725–728. ACM (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Xia, S., Shao, M., Fu, Y.: Toward kinship verification using visual attributes. In: 21st International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR), pp. 549–552. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 15.Shao, M., Xia, S., Fu, Y.: Genealogical face recognition based on ub kinface database. In: IEEE Computer Society Conference on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition Workshops (CVPRW), pp. 60–65. IEEE (2011)Google Scholar
- 16.Xia, S., Shao, M., Fu, Y.: Kinship verification through transfer learning. In: IJCAI, pp. 2539–2544 (2011)Google Scholar
- 17.Fang, R., Gallagher, A.C., Chen, T., Loui, A.: Kinship classification by modeling facial feature heredity. In: 20th IEEE International Conference on Image Processing (ICIP), pp. 2983–2987. IEEE (2013)Google Scholar
- 18.Dibeklioglu, H., Ali Salah, A., Gevers, T.: Like father, like son: facial expression dynamics for kinship verification. In: Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Computer Vision, pp. 1497–1504 (2013)Google Scholar
- 21.Liu, Q., Puthenputhussery, A., Liu, C.: Inheritable fisher vector feature for kinship verification. In: IEEE 7th International Conference on Biometrics Theory, Applications and Systems (BTAS), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar
- 22.Wang, M., Li, Z., Shu, X., Tang, J., et al.: Deep kinship verification. In: IEEE 17th International Workshop on Multimedia Signal Processing (MMSP), pp. 1–6. IEEE (2015)Google Scholar