Low-Density Parity-Check (LDPC) Codes
In this chapter, low-density parity-check (LDPC) codes, a class of powerful iteratively decodable error correcting codes, are introduced. The chapter first reviews some basic concepts and results in information theory such as Shannon’s channel capacity and channel coding theorem. It then overviews the flash memory channel model. Next, it addresses binary LDPC codes describing both their structure and efficient implementation, and their belief propagation and reduced-complexity decoding algorithms. Non-binary LDPC codes and their belief propagation decoding algorithm are also addressed. Finally simulation results are provided.
The author wishes to thank R. Micheloni and A. Marelli for their careful proofcheck of this chapter.
- 1.T.M. Cover, J.A. Thomas, Elements of Information Theory (Wiley, 1991)Google Scholar
- 3.R. Micheloni, L. Crippa, A. Marelli (eds.), Inside NAND Flash Memories (Springer, 2010)Google Scholar
- 4.N. Mielke et al., Bit error rate in NAND Flash memories, in Proceedings of the 2008 IEEE International Symposium on Reliability Physics, Phoenix, AZ, USA, April/May 2008, pp. 9–19Google Scholar
- 5.J. Wang, T. Courtade, H. Shankar, R. Wesel, Soft information for LDPC decoding in flash: mutual-information optimized quantization, in Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE Global Telecommunication Conference, Houston, TX, USA, Dec 2011Google Scholar
- 8.C. Berrou, A. Glavieux, P. Thitimajshima, Near Shannon limit error-correcting coding and decoding: turbo-codes, in Proceedings of the 2003 International Symposium on Communication, vol. 2, May 1993, pp. 1064–1070Google Scholar
- 14.M. Mansour, High-performance decoders for regular and irregular repeat-accumulate codes, in Proceedings of the IEEE 2004 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, Nov/Dec 2004, pp. 2583–2588Google Scholar
- 17.J. Thorpe, Low-density parity-check (LDPC) codes constructed from protographs, JPL INP, Technical Report, Aug 2003, pp. 42–154Google Scholar
- 21.G. Liva, M. Chiani, Protograph LDPC codes design based on EXIT analysis, in Proceedings of the 2007 IEEE Global Telecommunications Conference, Washington, DC, USA, Nov 2007, pp. 3250–3254Google Scholar
- 24.M. Chiani, A. Ventura, Design and performance evaluation of some high-rate irregular low-density parity-check codes, in Proceedings of the 2001 Global Telecommunication Conference, San Antonio, TX, USA, Nov 2001, pp. 990–994Google Scholar
- 25.T. Richardson, Error floors of LDPC codes, in Proceedings of the 41st Annual Allerton Conference on Communication, Control and Computing (2003)Google Scholar
- 32.J. Chen, M. Tanner, C. Jones, Y. Li, Improved min-sum decoding algorithms for irregular LDPC codes, in Proceedings of the 2005 IEEE International Symposium on Information Theory, Sept 2005, pp. 449–453Google Scholar
- 38.X.-Y. Hu, M. Fossorier, E. Eleftheriou, On the computation of the minimum distance of low-density parity-check codes, in Proceedings of the 2004 International Conference on Communication, June 2004, pp. 767–771Google Scholar