Industrial Policy: Some Case Studies from Today’s World
- 452 Downloads
If industrial policy has a potential, it has to be demonstrated by some successful experiences. This chapter presents four examples as best practices. It narrates how South Korea developed the nuclear power generation industry as an export sector literally from scratch through industrial policies. Likewise, it reviews the development of the South Korean automobile industry, the Swedish aircraft industry (Saab), and the pan-European civil aircraft industry (Airbus) through industrial policy.
- Airbus. (2017). Company website (www.airbus.com) (Accessed 5 November 2017).
- Andersson, L. (1998). “Heinkels for Sweden: Svenska Aero AB and Heinkel Types”, Air Enthusiast, No. 78, November/December 1998. pp. 57–67.Google Scholar
- Blomstrom, M., & Kokko, A. (2003). From natural resources to high-tech production: The evolution of industrial competitiveness in Sweden and Finland.Google Scholar
- Eliasson, G. (2010). Advanced public procurement as industrial policy: The Aircraft Industry as a Technical University (Vol. 34). Springer Science & Business Media.Google Scholar
- Eliasson, G. (2011). “Macroeconomic benefits from advanced public procurement the Swedish Gripen Project”, Presentation at the 14th U.S. – Sweden Defense Industry Conference, Washington, DC, May 18th, 2011.Google Scholar
- Financial Times. (2011). “Twin WTO ruling on Airbus dispute”, May 18, 2011, https://www.ft.com/content/4dff0e8c-8187-11e0-9c83-00144feabdc0.
- Flanigan, J. (1992). “Airbus shows why we need industrial policy,” Los Angeles Times, June 24, 1992.Google Scholar
- Gordon, S. (2014). “Airbus – The European model”, Financial Times, May 23, 2014.Google Scholar
- IAEA. (2007). South Korea Country Nuclear Power Profile. Vienna: International Atomic Energy Agency.Google Scholar
- Kane, C., & Pomper, M. A. (2013). Reactor race: South Korea’s nuclear export successes and challenges, Korea Economic Institute of America Academic Paper Series.Google Scholar
- Newhouse, J. (2007). Boeing versus Airbus. New York: Vintage.Google Scholar
- Saab. (2017). http://history.saab.com/en/themes/products/an-aviation-industry-is-born--saabs-early-years/ (Accessed 3 April 2017).
- Tovey, A. (2016). “How Airbus achieved the miracle of keeping a European project flying”, The Telegraph, October 22, 2016, http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/10/22/how-airbus-achieved-the-miracle-of---------keeping-a-european-pr/
- Yulek, Lee, Kim and Park, D. (2016). “Automotive industry in Turkey and Korea: The role of industrial policy”, mimeo.Google Scholar