Exploring Elderly People’s Activity and Travel Behavior Mechanism: A Case of Harbin, China
With the increase of the aging of population, the activity-travel issue of elderly people has been getting more and more attention. Based on the survey and statistics results, this chapter study the elderly people’s activity-travel behavior, and introduce the structural equation model to analyze the relationship between the elderly people’s activities and travel behavior. The exogenous variables include the family structure, education levels, and economic status, while the endogenous variables contain the travel activity purpose, travel mode, and travel intensity; then we explored the regularity of elderly people’s activity and traveling features, and quantified the influence of different factors. This study can provide a reference for developing rational elderly people traffic policy.
KeywordsStructural equation model Elderly people Activity and travel behavior Model evaluation
This research was supported by the Natural Science Foundation of Heilongjiang (No. E2016032), China Postdoctoral Science Foundation funded project (No. 2013M540299), National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 71603063), the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. HIT.NSRIF.2015075). The authors would like to express their sincere thanks to the anonymous reviewers for their helpful comments and valuable suggestions on this chapter.
- 2.Alsnih R, Hensher DA (2003) The mobility and accessibility expectations of seniors in an aging population. Transp Res Part A 37:903–916Google Scholar
- 5.van den Berg P, Arentze T, Timmermans H (2011) Estimating social travel demand of senior citizens in the Netherlands. Transp Policy 19:323–331Google Scholar
- 6.Zhang Z, Mao B, Liu MA (2007) An analysis of travel patterns of the elders in Beijing. J Transp Syst Eng Inf Technol 7(6):11–20 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 7.Chen T, Hen Tuan-sheng, Yue F, Yang L (2007) A study of factors influencing travel choice behavior of older Chinese. J Southwest Jiaotong Univ (Social Sciences) 8(5):17–21 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 8.Han Y, Guan H, Li D (2015) Analysis of trip attitude adjustment of public transit of the elderly based on Heider’s balance theory. J Beijing Univ Technol 41(6):906–911 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Dong R, Li L, Han W, Han G (2016) Study on the travel behavior characteristics of the urban elderly in Kunming. Mod Urban Res 1:102–108 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 11.Jiang H, Zhu X, Sun Z, Wu L (2014) The differentiation of transportation and its effects on transportation equality in Guangzhou. Planners 1:94–100 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 13.Wang J, Sun X, Hu X (2014) Urban passenger transportation prices linkage based on structural equation model. J Wuhan Univ Technol (Transp Sci Eng) 38(5):941–944 (In Chinese)Google Scholar
- 15.Roorda MJ, Ruiz T (2008) Long- and short-term dynamics in activity scheduling: a structural equations approach. Transp Res Part A 42:545–562Google Scholar