On Planning University Development: Shibboleths Versus Stylised Facts?
Reflecting on the nature and pattern of development of universities in India and abroad and drawing lessons from the past and also contemporary scene, the chapter highlights a few major fallacies in planning university development, and contrasts them with available evidence. It has been found that the whole approach to planning university systems seems to be guided more by immediate, short term, narrow and pecuniary considerations and compulsions and by questionable presumptions and fallacious arguments rather than by long term and broad national and global considerations and theoretically sound and empirically valid research. It also emphasises the need to resurrect the idea of the ‘ideal’ university.
KeywordsBasic education National knowledge commission Small universities Private universities Deemed universities Comprehensive universities Open universities Diversity Segmentation Teaching Research Distance education
This is a revised version of the 15th Professor Suresh Chandra Shukla Memorial Lecture delivered in Jamia Millia Islamia on 16 March 2017. I am extremely grateful to the Vice Chancellor, Jamia Millia Islamia, Professor Talat Ahmad, the organisers of this Memorial Lecture and other friends at Jamia, for inviting me to deliver the lecture. The insightful comments and observations by C.T. Kurrien, Pravin Patel, Furqan Qamar, A. Mathew, M. Anandkrishnan and L.S. Ganesh on an earlier version of the lecture are gratefully acknowledged.
- ACE (American Council on Education). 2012. On the Importance of Diversity in Higher Education. http://www.acenet.edu/news-room/Documents/BoardDiversityStatement-June2012.pdf. Accessed 10 Feb 2017.
- Alger, J.R., Chapa, J., Gudeman, R.H., Marin, P., Maruyama, G., Milem, J.F. Moreno, and Wilds, D.J. 2012. Does Diversity Make a Difference? Washington, DC: American Council on Education and American Association of University Professors.Google Scholar
- Bardhan, Pranab. 2017. The New Class Act. The Indian Express, January 20. http://indianexpress.com/article/opinion/columns/higher-education-in-india-is-failing-overhauling-the-system-can-salvage-it-4482520/. Accessed 21 Jan 2017.
- Barnett, Ronald. 1990. The Idea of Higher Education. Buckingham: Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Barnett, Ronald. (ed.). 2005. Reshaping the University: New Relationships Between Research, Scholarship and Teaching. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill and Open University Press.Google Scholar
- Béteille, André. 2010. Universities at the Crossroads. New Delhi: Oxford.Google Scholar
- Education Commission. 1966. Education and National Development, Report of the Education Commission, 1964–66. New Delhi: Government of India [Reprint: National Council of Educational Research and Training 1971].Google Scholar
- Government of India. 1950. The Report of the University Education Commission (December 1948–August 1949). New Delhi. http://www.teindia.nic.in/files/reports/ccr/Report%20of%20the%20University%20Education%20Commission.pdf.
- Government of India. 2009a. Report of ‘The Committee to Advise on Renovation and Rejuvenation of Higher Education’. New Delhi: Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development. http://mhrd.gov.in/sites/upload_files/mhrd/files/document-reports/YPC-Report.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- Government of India. 2009b. Report of the Committee for Review of Existing Institutions Deemed to be Universities. New Delhi: Government of India, Ministry of Human Resource Development [Chairperson: P.N. Tandon]. http://www.academicsindia.com/Tandon_Committee_report_on_deemed_varsities.pdf. Accessed 10 Nov 2017.
- International Commission on Education for the Twenty-first Century [Delors Commission]. 1996. Treasure Within. Report to UNESCO of the International Commission on Education for the Twenty-first Century. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Kerr, Clark. 2001. The Uses of the University. Harvard, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Krishnan, Anand. 2017. Why Doctors Need Humanities? The Times of India, February 28. http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31804&articlexml=Why-Doctors-Need-Humanities-28022017014017. Accessed 5 Mar 2017.
- Li, X., and Carroll, C.D. 2007. Characteristics of Minority-Serving Institutions and Minority Undergraduates Enrolled in These Institutions: Postsecondary Education—Descriptive Analysis Report. Washington, DC: Institute of Education Sciences, US Department of Education.Google Scholar
- National Knowledge Commission. 2009. Report to the Nation 2007. New Delhi: Government of India.Google Scholar
- Nehru, Jawaharlal. 1947. The Function of Universities. Address to a Special Convocation of the University of Allahabad. In Select Speeches and Writings of Nehru. http://celebratingnehru.org/english/nehru_speech24.aspx. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- Newman, John Henry. 1852. The Idea of a University, reprinted. In Essays: English and American, vol. 28, ed. C.W. Eliot, 1909–1914, Harvard Classics. New York: PF Collier & Son. http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/mod/newman/newman-university.html. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- Nussbaum, Martha C. (1998). Cultivating Humanity: A Classical Defence of Reform in Liberal Education. Harvard, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- Patel, P.J. 2016. Research Culture in Indian Universities. Social Change 46 (2): 238–259.Google Scholar
- Perkin, Harold. 2007. History of Universities. In International Handbook of Higher Education, ed. J.J.F. Forest and P.G. Altbach, 159–206. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Shah, A.M. 2005. Higher Education and Research. Economic & Political Weekly 41 (22–23): 2234–2342 [Reprinted in Tilak, Jandhyala B.G. (ed.). 2013. Higher Education in India, 184–203. Hyderabad: Orient BlackSwan.].Google Scholar
- Shaw, E.J. 2005. Researching the Educational Benefits of Diversity. College Board Research Report No: 2005-4. New York: College Entrance Examination Board.Google Scholar
- Singh, Amrik. 2004. The Challenge of Education. Hyderabad: ICFAI University Press.Google Scholar
- Tai, Hsiou-Hsia. n.d. The Features of World-Class Universities. Taiwan: National Chiao Tung University. http://www.shanghairanking.com/wcu/wcu1/Tai.pdf. Accessed 13 Nov 2017.
- Tilak, Jandhyala B.G. 2006. Private Higher Education: Philanthropy to Profits. In Higher Education in the World: The Financing of Universities, 113–125. London: Global University Network for Innovation, Barcelona and Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Tilak, Jandhyala B.G. 2010. Universities: An Endangered Species? Journal of the World Universities Forum 3 (2): 109–127.Google Scholar
- UGC. 2016. Higher Education in India at a Glance. New Delhi: University Grants Commission.Google Scholar
- UNESCO. 1998. World Declaration of Higher Education for the Twenty-First Century. Paris: United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation.Google Scholar
- World Bank. 1994. Higher Education: The Lessons of Experience. Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar
- World Bank. 2002. Constructing Knowledge Societies: New Challenges for Tertiary Education. Washington, DC: Author.Google Scholar