Experimental Study on Electro-Osmosis Consolidation with Solar Power for Silt
Electro-osmosis is an effective method for accelerating the consolidation of soft soils while it has not been widely used in practice because of its high electric energy consumption. With development of renewable solar energy, the solar energy is used in electro-osmosis method and the solar electro-osmosis technology has been proposed. This paper presents the performance of solar electro-osmosis method to improve the consolidation of soft clay based on the laboratory experiment, including the electric current and voltage, electric potential, water discharge, water content, shear strength. The energy consumption and carbon emission have also been discussed based on the measured data. The measured results show that both electric current and voltage in solar electro-osmosis are not stable and vary periodically in day time; the solar electro-osmosis can accelerate consolidation of soft clay effectively and the solar electro-osmosis technology has a well drainage efficiency and environmental benefits.
KeywordsElectro-osmosis Solar energy Drainage Energy consumption Carbon emission Non-constant direct current
- 2.Casagrande, L.: Electro-osmosis stabilization of soils. J. Boston Soc. Civ. Eng. 39(1), 51–83 (1952)Google Scholar
- 4.Chappell, B.A., Burton, P.L.: Electro-osmosis applied to unstable embankment. J. Geotech. Eng. Div. 101(8), 733–740 (1975). ASCEGoogle Scholar
- 6.Hamir, R.: Some aspects and applications of electrically conductive geosynthetic materials. Ph.D. thesis, University of Newcastle upon Tyne, UK (1997)Google Scholar
- 9.Sprute, R.H., Kelsh, D.J.: Limited field tests in electrokinetic densification of mill tailings. Report of Investigations 8034. USBM (1975)Google Scholar
- 16.Tao Y.L., Zhou J., Gong X.N., Chen Z., Hu P.C.: Influence of polarity reversal and current intermittence on electro-osmosis. In: Ground Improvement and Geosynthetics, pp. 198–208. Geo-Shanghai (2014)Google Scholar