Preparation and Characterization of Electroless Copper Coating on Hollow Glass Microspheres
The electroless copper coating was prepared on the hollow glass microspheres. To reduce the cost, the silver nitrate activator was used instead of conventional PdCl2. The coated microspheres were characterized by scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy (EDX) and X-ray diffractometry (XRD). The continuous and uniform Cu coating was obtained on the microspheres under the optimized electroless process and the thickness of Cu coating was identified to be about 100 nm. The silver nitrate activator has been demonstrated to be effective replacement for the PdCl2 activator.
KeywordsHollow glass microspheres Electroless coating Copper Microstructure
The authors would like to acknowledge the financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 51771063 and 51571069).
- 1.F. Shahzad, M. Alhabeb, C. B. Hatter, B. Anasori, S. M. Hong, C. M. Koo, Y. Gogotsi, Electromagnetic interference shielding with 2D transition metal carbides (MXenes), Science. 353 (2016) 1137–1140.Google Scholar
- 2.R. Smolenski, J. Bojarski, A. Kempski, P. Lezynski, Time-domain-based assessment of data transmission error probability in smart grids with electromagnetic interference, IEEE T. Ind. Electron. 61 (2014) 1882–1890.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Xiang, Y. Pan, J. Guo, Electromagnetic interference shielding effectiveness of multiwalled carbon nanotube reinforced fused silica composites, Cerami. Int. 33 (2007) 1293–1297.Google Scholar
- 4.M. Mishra, A. P. Singh, S. K. Dhawan, Expanded graphite–nanoferrite–fly ash composites for shielding of electromagnetic pollution, J. Alloy. Compd. 557 (2013) 244–251.Google Scholar
- 5.G. O. Mallory and F. B. Hajdu, Electroless Plating: Fundamentals and Applications, 4th ed., American Electroplaters and Surface Finishers Society, Orlando, Forida, 1990.Google Scholar
- 6.Q. Zhang, M. Wu, W. Zhao, Electroless nickel plating on hollow glass microspheres, Surf. Coat. Tech. 192 (2005) 213–219.Google Scholar
- 7.D. L. Gao, M.S. Zhan, Fabrication and electrical properties of metal-coated acrylate rubber microspheres by electroless plating, Appl. Sur. Sci. 255 (2009) 4185–4191.Google Scholar
- 8.F. A. Wright, US Patent 4,621,024. (1986).Google Scholar
- 9.Q. Y Zhang, M. Wu, W. Zhao, Electroless nickel plating on hollow glass microspheres, Surf. Coat. Tech. 192 (2005) 213–219.Google Scholar