Calculation of the Lateral Cyclic Response of Monopiles in Sand
Monopiles are widely used to support the upper structures of wind turbines in offshore engineering. Due to the harsh environment conditions, they are subjected to long-term lateral cyclic loading from waves and winds through the design life. In this paper, a robust and practical beam on Winkler foundation model is presented for the behavior of monopiles under cyclic lateral load, in which the stiffness degradation of sand is incorporated based on the accumulated soil strain from results of drained cyclic triaxial tests. The reasonability of the model is proved by comparisons with a published centrifuge model test.
KeywordsMonopiles Axial strain Sand Winkler foundation model Calculating method Cyclic load
This work is financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51779175 and 51579177).
- 1.Reese, L.C., Cox, W.R., Koop, F.D.: Analysis of laterally loaded piles in sand. In: Proceedings of the 6th Annual Offshore Technology Conference (OTC 2080), Houston, Texas, vol. 2, pp. 473–485 (1974)Google Scholar
- 2.American Petroleum Institute: Recommended practice for planning, designing and constructing fixed offshore platforms – working stress design. In: API Recommended Practice 2A-WSD (RP2A-WSD), 21st edn. API, Dallas (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Little, R.L., Briaud, J.L.: Full scale cyclic lateral load tests on six single piles in sand. In: Miscellaneous Paper GL-88-27, Geotechnical Div Texas A&M Univ, College Station (1988)Google Scholar
- 6.Vesic, A.B.: Bending of beam resting on isotropic elastic solid. J. Eng. Mech. Div. 87(2), 35–53 (1961)Google Scholar
- 7.Ramberg, W., Osgood, W.R.: Description of stress-strain curves by three parameters. Technical Note 902, National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics, Washington, D.C. (1943)Google Scholar
- 8.Huang, M.S., Li, J.J., Li, X.Z.: Cumulative deformation behaviour of soft clay in cyclic undrained tests. Chin. J. Geotech. Eng. 28(7), 891–895 (2006). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 9.Huang, M.S., Yao, Z.M.: Explicit model for cumulative strain of saturated clay subjected to cyclic loading. Chin. J. Geotech. Eng. 33(3), 325–331 (2011). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, L., Zhu, B., Lai, X.H.: Cyclic accumulated deformation of sand and its explicit model. Chin. J. Geotech. Eng. 37(11), 2024–2029 (2015). (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhu, B., Xiong, G., Liu, J.C., Sun, Y.X., Chen, R.P.: Centrifuge modelling of a large-diameter single pile under lateral loads in sand. Chin. J. Geotech. Eng. 35(10), 1807–1815 (2013). (in Chinese)Google Scholar