Study on the Influence of Impermeable Membrane’s Blanket Length on the Seepage of a Dam
Geotechnical membrane is often used in dam engineering to prevent the seepage. But the research of the influence of impervious membrane on the seepage of a dam is not enough. Combining the indoor model experiment and numerical analysis methods, the influence of the impermeable membrane’s blanket length on the seepage of a dam had been carried out in present paper. By analyzing the results from these two methods, it was found that the seepage quantity of the dam linearly changed with the increase of the blanket length. Besides, bases on the numerical analysis method, the influence of different horizontal impervious blanket length on the seepage of a dam had been investigated, and the calculation formula for different thickness of the foundation had been fitted. Finally, the optimum length of horizontal blanket for different dam foundation was analyzed.
KeywordsImpermeable membrane Blanket length Dam Seepage
This paper is funded by National Natural Science Foundation of China under the contract No. 51678533.
- 1.Gu, W.: Principle and Application of Seepage Calculation. Chinese Building Materials Industry Press, Beijing (2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Water Resources Department of Construction and Management: Analysis of dam danger in the Yangtze River and the Songhua River happened in 1998 flood. China Flood Control Drought Relief 19(4), 20–24 (1998)Google Scholar
- 3.Seed, R.B., Bea, R.G., Abdelmalak, R.I., Athanasopoulos, A.G., Boutwell, G.P., Bray, J.D., Briaud, J.-L., Cheung, C., Cobos-Roa, D., Cohen-Waeber, J., Collins, B.D., Ehrensing, L., Farber, D., Hanemann, M., Harder, L.F., Inkabi, K.S., Kammerer, A.M., Karadeniz, D., Kayen, R.E., Moss, R.E.S., Nicks, J., Nimmala, S., Pestana, J.M., Porter, J., Rhee, K., Riemer, M.F., Roberts, K., Rogers, J.D., Storesund, R., Govindasamy, A.V., Vera-Grunauer, X., Wartman, J.E., Watkins, C.M., Wenk Jr., E., Yim, S.C.: Investigation of the Performance of the New Orleans Flood Protection System in Hurricane. University of California-Berkeley, State of California (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Shu, Y., Wu, H., Jiang, X.: Technical progress of pervious membrane used in seepage control of reservoir dam in China. Geotech. Eng. J. 38(S1), 1–9 (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Yuan, Y., Shi, K., Li, Y., et al.: The influence of blanket length to seepage of infinite deep pervious foundation. Hydroelectric Power 33(1), 34–36 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Yin, H., Shi, K., Mao, H.: The selection of impervious membrane length used in non homogeneous infinite deep dam foundation. J. Water Resour. Water Eng. 22(2), 62–65 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Wen, L., Fan, Y., Chai, J., et al.: Numerical analysis on the effect of seepage control measures of deep overburden foundation. J. Water Resour. Water Eng. 25(1), 127–132 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Xu, Y., Shi, K., Xu, Q., et al.: The influence of micro porous membrane to seepage of infinite deep permeable foundation. J. Water Resour. Water Eng. 24(1), 89–92 (2013)Google Scholar
- 11.Mao, H., Wang, X., He, Y.: A Pilot study of the method choice about the blanket length over earth-rock dam on the infinite deep pervious foundation. In: International Conference on Electric Technology and Civil Engineering, pp. 5698–5701 (2011)Google Scholar