A New Numerical Model of the Intra-aortic Balloon Pump as a Tool for Clinical Simulation and Outcome Prediction
Counterpulsation is the form of circulatory support provided by the intra-aortic balloon pump (IABP), a device widely used in the clinical setting to assist the left ventricle by mechanical control of blood volume displacement within the aorta. The principles underlying the IABP function are well established but the interactions with the cardiovascular system make its performance rather complicated and still not completely understood. Here we propose a novel IABP numerical model as a tool with potential for clinical application in terms of simulation and outcome prediction in critical patients. The analysis of IABP assistance is presented in terms of the effects on stroke volume, mean aortic diastolic pressure, aortic end-systolic pressure, aortic end-diastolic pressure, endocardial viability ratio and pressure-volume loop shift. Balloon inflation/deflation rate and timing are also considered. The new model was implemented in CARDIOSIM© software simulator of the cardiovascular system.
KeywordsCardiovascular system IABP Numerical model Haemodynamics Software simulation
This work was supported by the Italian Ministry of Education, University and Research (M.I.U.R.) Flagship InterOmics Project (cod. PB05).
- 1.He P, Dubin SE, Moore TW, Jaron D. Guidelines for Optimal Control of Intraaortic Balloon Pumping: Experimental Studies. ASAIO J. 7(4), 172–179 (1984).Google Scholar
- 2.Jaron D, Moore TW, He P. Control of Intraaortic Balloon Pumping: Theory and Guidelines for Clinical Applications. Ann. Biomed. Eng. 13, 155–175 (1985).Google Scholar
- 3.Thiele H, Zeymer U, Neumann FJ, et al. Intraaortic Balloon Support for Myocardial Infarction with Cardiogenic Shock. N. Engl. J. Med. 367, 1287–1296 (2012).Google Scholar
- 4.Ergle K, Parto P, Krim SR. Percutaneous Ventricular Assist Devices: A Novel Approach in the Management of Patients with Acute Cardiogenic Shock. Ochsner J. 16, 243–249 (2016).Google Scholar
- 5.Nuding S, Werdan K. IABP plus ECMO – Is one and one more than two? J. Thorac. Dis. 9(4), 961–964 (2017).Google Scholar
- 6.De Lazzari C. Interaction between the septum and the left (right) ventricular free wall in order to evaluate the effects on coronary blood flow: numerical simulation. Comput. Methods Biomech. Biomed. Engin. 15(12), 1359–1368 (2012).Google Scholar
- 7.De Lazzari C, Genuini I, Pisanelli D, et al. Interactive simulator for e-Learning environments: a teaching software for health care professionals. Biomed. Eng. Online 13(1), 172 (2014).Google Scholar
- 8.De Lazzari C, Darowski M, et al. Ventricular energetics during mechanical ventilation and intraaortic balloon pumping – Computer simulation. J. Med. Eng. & Tech., 25(3), 103–111 (2001).Google Scholar
- 9.De Lazzari C, Stalteri D. CARDIOSIM© Software Simulator: http://cardiosim.dsb.cnr.it/.