A Mechanism for Detection of Text in Images Using DWT and MSER
The study of video optical character readers (OCR) is an eminent field of research in image processing due to various real-time applications. Hence, in this chapter, an algorithm is proposed for text detection in images. The proposed method consists of mainly three stages in which the image is initially sharpened using a Gaussian filter. A discrete wavelet transform (DWT) is then applied to the sharpened image. After this step, the maximally stable extremal region (MSER) is detected to obtain the average of the detailed components of the wavelet images. To detect foreground components in an image, the Connected Component Analysis (CCA) algorithm is applied to localized text components. The proposed method is evaluated on standard MSER and MSRA-TD500 datasets. Experimental results are satisfactory.
KeywordsDWT MSER Gaussian CCA OCR
- 2.Phan, T.Q., P. Shivakumar, S. Bhowmick, S. Li, and C. L. Tan. 2014. Semi-automatic ground truth generation for text detection and recognition in video images. IEEE Transactions on Circuits and Systems for Video Technology.Google Scholar
- 5.Zhou, X., C. Yao, H. Wen, Y. Wang, S. Zhou, W. He, and J. Liang 2017. EAST: an efficient and accurate scene text detector. arXiv:1704–03155, 2017.
- 6.Shi, C., C. Wang, B. Xiao, S. Gao, and J. Hu. 2014. End-to-end scene text recognition using tree-structured models. Pattern Recognition: Elsevier.Google Scholar
- 8.Yusufu, T., Y. Wang, and X. Fang. 2013. A video text detection and tracking system, 522–529. IEEE: In the proceedings of international symposium on multimedia.Google Scholar
- 9.Gomez, L., and D. Karatzas. 2014. MSER- based real-time text detection and tracking. In 22nd international conference on pattern recognition, IEEE, pp. 3110–3115.Google Scholar
- 10.Tabassum, A., and S.A. Dhondse. 2015. Text detection using MSER and stroke width transform. In Fifth international conference on communication system and network technologies, IEEE, 568–571.Google Scholar
- 11.Turki, H., M. B. Halima, and A. M Alimi. 2015. Scene text detection images with pyramid image and MSER enhanced. In 15th international conference on intelligent systems design and application (ISDA), IEEE.Google Scholar
- 12.Yao, C., X. Bai, W. Liu, Y. Ma, and Z. Tu. 2012. Detecting texts of arbitrary orientations in natural images. CVPR, 1083–1090.Google Scholar
- 13.Shivakumar, P., H.T. Basavaraju, D.S. Guru, and C.L. Tan. 2013. Detection of curved text in video: quad tree based method. In 12th international conference on document analysis and recognition(ICDAR), 594–598.Google Scholar
- 14.Lu, C., C. Wang, and R. Dai. 2005. Text detection in images based on unsupervised classification of edge-based features. In Proceedings of ICDAR, 610–614.Google Scholar
- 16.Kang, L., Y. Li, & D. Doermann. 2014. Orientation robust text line detection in natural images. In Proceedings of CVPR, 4034–4041.Google Scholar