A Comparative Study on Prominent Strategies of Cluster Head Selection in Wireless Sensor Networks
Wireless sensor networks (WSNs) have an imprint in every aspect of human life from very small to large-scale application. On one hand, energy-constrained sensor nodes are expected to run for a long duration. On the other hand, designing and maintaining sustainable WSNs is a very major issue nowadays. It may be very costly either to replace expired batteries or even impossible in hostile environments. So, there is a necessity to conserve the energy of the nodes so as to extend the network lifetime. After a deep review of the literature, we found that network lifetime can be extended by dividing it into groups (clusters). Decisions regarding all the operations in all groups are made by respective cluster heads (CHs). But selecting the best CHs is a critical issue to be resolved so as to utilize energy consumption most efficiently. This study can be a recommendation for researchers while optimally selecting WSN CHs.
KeywordsWireless sensor networks Network lifetime Wireless node Cluster Clustering schemes
- 5.Heinzelman,W.R., A. Chandrakasan, and H. Balakrishnan. (2000, January). Energy-efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In Proceedings of the 33rd annual Hawaii international conference on system sciences, 2000, 10-pp. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 15.Kim, J.M., S.H. Park, Y.J. Han, and T.M. Chung. (2008, February). CHEF: Cluster head election mechanism using fuzzy logic in wireless sensor networks. In ICACT 2008. 10th international conference on Advanced communication technology, vol. 1, 654–659. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 16.Yuan, H.Y., S.Q. Yang, and Y.Q. Yi. (2011, May). An energy-efficient unequal clustering method for wireless sensor networks. In 2011 international conference on computer and management (CAMAN), 1–4. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 18.Zhao, X., and N. Wang. (2010, May). An unequal layered clustering approach for large scale wireless sensor networks. In 2010 2nd international conference on future computer and communication (ICFCC), vol. 1, V1-750. IEEE.Google Scholar
- 19.Gupta, I., D. Riordan, and S. Sampalli. (2005, May). Cluster-head election using fuzzy logic for wireless sensor networks. In Communication networks and services research conference, 2005. Proceedings of the 3rd annual, 255–260. IEEE.Google Scholar