An educational role-playing game for modeling the learner’s personality
Recently, there has been an increasing interest in learner modeling in order to provide personalized computer based learning experiences. Generally, researchers and practitioners use questionnaires as a method to model learners, including their personalities, which can be time consuming and not motivating. Therefore, this paper presents a new approach for modeling the learner’s personality, specifically introvert/extrovert, using an online educational game and Learning Analytics (LA) system.
KeywordsLearning Analytics Educational Games Learner’s Personality Learner Model
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Tlili, A., Essalmi, F., Jemni, M., Kinshuk., Chen, N. S.: Role of personality in computer based learning. Computers in Human Behavior, vol. 64, pp. 805–813 (2016)Google Scholar
- Irani, T., Telg, R., Scherler, C., Harrington, M.: Personality type and its relationship to distance education students’ course perceptions and performance. In Quarterly Review of Distance Education, 4(4), pp. 445 (2003)Google Scholar
- Okada, M., Oltmanns, T. F.: Comparison of three self-report measures of personality pathology. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 31(4), 358–367, (2009)Google Scholar
- Siemens, G.: What are Learning Analytics?, Retrieved 7 December 2015 from http://www.elearnspace.org/blog/2010/08/25/what-arelearning-analytics/
- Jung, C. G., Baynes, H. G.: Psychological Types or the Psychology of Individuation. London: Kegan Paul Trench Trubner, (1921)Google Scholar
- Tlili, A., Essalmi, F., Jemni, M., Kinshuk.: An educational game for teaching computer architecture: Evaluation using learning analytics. In 5th IEEE International Conference on Information & Communication Technology and Accessibility (ICTA), pp. 1–6, (2015)Google Scholar
- Essalmi, F., Tlili, A., Ayed, L. J. B., Jemni, M.: Toward Modeling the learner’s Personality using Educational Games. International Journal of Distance Education Technologies (IJDET), 15(4), 21–38 (2017)Google Scholar
- Serrano-Lagunaa, Á., Torrentea, J., Maneroa, B., del Blancoa, Á., Borro-Escribanoa, B., Martínez-Ortiza, I., Fernández-Manjóna, B.: Learning analytics and educational games: lessons learned from practical experience. In International Conference on Games and Learning Alliance, pp. 16–28 (2013)Google Scholar